The Boy With The Mechanical Heart

Update: This story has been published with the name Mechanical Heart. Nicholas' name has also been changed to Makoto Sasaki.

A Steampunk Romance

"Miss, I'm sorry to say, but your son's heart is weak. In a few days, it could loose its beat."

"No, no! Please Doctor, there must be something you could do!"

"There is, but-"

"Anything will do! Save him. He is all that I have left."

"OK, it will be a twelve hour procedure, with many risks that could end his life in seconds. We will have to set in a contraption that will keep his heart beating. If everything goes well, he will live a long life."

"I understand, please save my son."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Everywhere you walk in the city of Clockwork, there lies a machine of all sorts. Gears that clank against each other. Clocks that ticks every second and dings every hour. Trains that huffs and rattles on the tracks. Sky transportation that slices the air. Everywhere, even on bodies. Inventors make gadgets that replace missing limbs or as an extension of themselves. I have a gadget of my own. I was born with a weak heart, and in order to save my life, my mother had the doctor build a contraption that allows my heart to beat. The beginning of each month, I need to wind the contraption to keep it beating. There were times that I came close to dying because of that. My forgetful mind has caused my mother to stress and grow grey hairs before her time. I am her one and only child, I understand that she doesn't want to loose her child, what kind of mother would? But, I can't help to think her life would be a lot better without me. I am just a burden on her frail hands.

Tomorrow is my eighteenth birthday and I want to go out on adventure. I don't want to keep living life the way I had. A peaceful, boring with nothing to do kind of life. If anything, I'm dying of this emptiness I feel after seeing the same things everyday and expecting something to change staying in place. No, I want to ride the fastest trains, to touch the clouds in a blimp, and discover lands I have not yet seen. To allow my mother a break from my wildness and breaking rules of the town. Yes, I am the town's troublemaker and I am proud of it. Without me, this town would live up to its name. I just have to break it easy to my mother. Of course she wouldn't allow my leaving, but I am not taking no for an answer. Either my mechanical heart will be the death of me, or a metal shark. I would rather be eaten by a metal shark, it would be a more interesting story in the newspaper headlines.

"Boy eaten by metal shark! Read more about it on how he fought off a flying beast only to be plunged into deadly waters!"

Yes, I wouldn't mind that. A death during battle! Man versus Machines! Unlike the story that may come.

"Boy dies in his bed. His mechanical heart stopped beating after forgetting to wake up early to wind it."

No, no, no and no. That sounds too depressing, my death will not be like that. I will not allow it! So come tomorrow, I will be off to begin my adventure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There is no way I'm allowing you to go on this... this 'adventure'! Are you crazy? You already forget to wind your heart when you're not fighting against metal beasts! What makes you think you will remember then?" My mother exclaims, going off like an unattended steaming teapot on the stove.

"I don't know... The will to live? The thrill and blood rushing through my veins that let me know I am alive. The unknowing of what will come tomorrow and living to find out. Unlike here in Clockwork where everyday is the same thing. Wake up, work house chores, eat, sleep. Wake up, work house chores, eat, sleep. Wake up, work-"