The Best Day

I sat with Don, showing him the different gifts. "And this one's my favorite, but don't tell anyone," I said, holding up the sea themed mobile. His face was distant. "I thought that you would appreciate it more."

He finally looked at me. "No. I do, it's great."

I stared at him unbelievingly. "Now, tell me what's really wrong."

"I've spent so much time with you, I am going to have to leave soon," he told me, averting his eyes.

My eyes focused on him, and I smiled melancholily as I realized that this was what the problem had been between us lately. "Do whatever you have to do," I replied, holding his one hand with both of mine.

He looked to me and smiled when his eyes landed on my face. "Pizza Joint? For old time's sake?"

I nodded and stood up. I opened my mouth to call driver, but Don grabbed me by the waist. He slung me over his shoulder, and whispered in my ear, "I'm driving, and I know you won't let me unless I use force."

I was upside down, so I saw him as upside down. "Just let me down!" I kicked at him, but he was strong. He laughed, and he walked me all the way to his car.

He set me down lightly, and I laughed. "I would've let you drive. Picking me up was not necessary."

"But I wanted to," he said with a half-grin, and we were our normal selves again. It had been quieter the last few times we were togetherness, like we were bracing for the impact of separation. I had missed us.

"How are you?" Don asked me.

"I'm fantastic, because I'm with you," I answered immediately. I saw a forced smile on his face, and knew we were back in the sad phase. "I'm glad you're here."

"As am I," he replied. Not for the first time, I wondered about his past. What did he look like and act like back then?

"What are you thinking about?" He asked me, a sad look on his face.

"About your past. What was it like back then?" I asked.

His face turned sour. "I try not to think about that," he explained. I nodded. I tried not to think about my past, too, and it was only twenty-three years long.

We pulled up to one of my favorite places in silence. I hopped up out of the car,  breathing in the fresh sea salt air. I could hear the ocean waves pounding the beach, though I couldn't see it.

Don walked up and held out his hand. "Dinner awaits."

I took it and corrected, "It's lunchtime."

He shrugs, his smile growing. "Does it really matter? Same difference."

We walked in to the small restaurant that smelled faintly of garlic. My stomach growled. "The baby wants garlic bread," I announced.

"Then he must have it," Don replied, sliding into a chair. He grinned, waving over a waiter.

We order, and I go back to my ways to decrease awkwardness: asking random questions. "Um... What's your favorite season?"

"I love summer. The waves are calm, the beach is sunny... Everything is perfect," he said. "How about you?"

"Summer, or winter." I pondered on which one was my favorite, but I couldn't chose. "Summer means I get to come to the cabin, and it reminds me of old times. Winter, because I love the snow. It's so beautiful. I wish it snowed all the time. I think I'd like a day of snow, with you. You'd look cute, in a snow jacket."

He grinned so cutely that I almost didn't remember that he was leaving me. I clasped his hand on the table, thinking of how this was all going to be ending soon. Don grabbed my chin and lifted my head up to face him. "Don't think of this as the the end. This is worth it." He leaned over the table, and kissed me lightly on the side of my lip.

My hand drew tighter, and I realized that he was right. This is worth having, even knowing that you'll lose it.