Chapter One

Ever since I was a little girl, I've always been dependent on my big sister. She took care of me, protected me, and loved me unconditionally- the love I never received from our own parents. She was a strong, independent woman, and I've always admired her for it. Which kinda makes me feel bad about myself for being such a burden on her, picking up after me because I'm pretty darn clumsy. I wanted to learn how to survive on my own, that's why one day, I decided I would travel.

  But I didn't expect to end up joining some band of fugitives, which was the kind of crowd I'm supposed to be avoiding. Trust me, I tried, but for whatever reason I just seem to attract all the bad stuff. And I was the only girl to boot! Hooray.

  "Miss? You haven't touched your fish yet, it's getting cold." Sir Rion gave me an odd look. Or maybe just Rion, because he's basically a fugitive now and probably got kicked out of the knighthood thing. In all honesty, he looks like a punk-hipster kind of guy in golden armor. Must be the man-bun and the earrings.

  "Just call me Charlotte, and yeah, I'll get to it soon." I said with a bright smile, blowing on the impaled fish on my stick. Who knew Rion could cook? Well, I did just meet him a few hours earlier. Maybe I shouldn't judge too quickly.

  Then there was Harley- or most commonly known as the Harlequin Thief, I took it upon myself to give him a less complicated nickname- he had his back turned from us while he ate in secrecy. He's quite the enigmatic fellow, especially since he runs around rooftops in a hood and mask- something he refuses to take off- stealing things, though it isn't really unusual for a thief to disguise himself. But he never talks, which led me to believe he's mute, which he probably is. In place of a voice to speak, he has a pair of round, evergreen eyes that easily displayed his emotions and his loud personality, and I could immediately tell that if he really had a voice, he'd be a pretty fun guy. Not that he already isn't, but still, it'd be cool if he could talk.

  As the three of us sat around the campfire, shrouded by dozens of trees and possible predators, I recounted the events of today that led up to this very moment. It was just around eight o'clock in the morning or so…

----

  I spent the week touring around the great city of Verdegrece, otherwise known as the city of green for the massive amount of all-things in said color. Even the people regularly wore green, albeit in different shades- and if it wasn't green, it was either white or gold. The city retained most of its ancient heritage like architectural structures and statues, but at the same time made it look modern with golden skyways and hovering hovercrafts.

  It was my third stop since my journey to become self-dependent, and I'd say I was handling myself pretty well. I was walking through one of the sub streets of the city, trying to look for a sort of souvenir for myself and for my sister. The flea market wasn't as packed as it was during mid-day, so I was mostly alone, save for the shopkeepers who were preparing the goods. I finally stopped by one when an object caught my interest- a golden ring with a simple jade stone fashioned in the center. It looked pretty simple at first glance, but I felt something emitting from it…some kind of magic.

  "'Ello missy! What can I do ya for this very fine mornin'?" A cheery female voice snapped me out of my trance as a middle-aged woman grinned at me. I returned a smile and pointed at the ring.

  "This one, how much is it?" I asked.

  "Ah, that one's aboouut…" Her brows scrunched up as she calculated the numbers in her head, "500,000 lionels!"

  My face immediately fell at the amount; 500,000 LIONELS??? I could have bought my entire house with that! The lady behind the table looked at me in amusement, sensing my shock.