Chapter 1: The Girl with Arrows as Ears

“Hello!” a girl I think my age greeted me. She had red hair braided down her right shoulder, and she was wearing a white dress and pink shoes and she had silver arrows at the sides of her head as if those were her ears. She was the same girl I’ve dreamt last week. Creepy.

“AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!” I yelled.

Eeeek!!! Eeeek!!! Eeeek!!!

“Uhh,” I groaned. I smashed my alarm clock. Why do I even have to wake up early this summer?

“Matt! Leah’s waiting for you!” my mother called. “She said she would take you to the park.”

“Coming!” I yelled.

Leah Grate is like my sister. We have been best friends since Nursery, and now we’re in 6th grade.

I went down the stairs sleepily. I could hear my mom and Leah laughing.

When I got to the kitchen, Leah frowned. “Your hair! It’s so…”

“Okay, okay…” I quickly went to the bathroom and combed my hair. Leah was always like that. She’s a critic, you know… The BIGGEST critic.

I went back to the kitchen and saw my plate. Bacon again, I thought.

“How was sleep?” my mother asked.

“What did you dream about, again?” Leah asked dreamily. Ugh, she always makes fun of my dreams. One day, I told her I dreamt of a girl with arrows as ears. And now, I dreamt of the girl again.

“Nothing really funny,” I lied. I stuck out my tongue at her.

I ate as fast as I can. I really wanna go to the park again. I can relax in there, unlike here. Our neighbor and her husband are always arguing and unfortunately, their house is just beside my bedroom.

I finished five minutes later. I went to the bathroom to take a bath, put on a black shirt, gray pants, and my favorite leather shoes.

“’Bye Matt, Leah!” my mother said. “Come back at lunch!”

“’Bye mom!” Leah called. Great. Even she calls her ‘mom’.

“’Bye!” I said.

I rode my bike, with Leah at my back. Then, we arrived at Winston Park. I always sleep in here. I wish this was my house.

We sat on our favorite bench. We laughed and laughed because of the kids who were playing. And then, I saw a girl wearing a white dress and pink shoes, abut my age, maybe. She was holding a silver bow and arrows. She was targeting a white dummy.

“Leah,” I pointed the girl to Leah.

“Doesn't she look like the one you dreamt of? Red hair, brown eyes, white dress, with silver arrows?” she asked.

“I don’t know,” I shrugged. The girl was walking away, so I followed. I was just looking at her and I didn’t know if Leah was even following me.

She crossed the road and suddenly, a truck passed by. I ran and when she saw me, she screamed. I went to her and pushed her. And I felt as if thousands of big rocks were thrown at me. Then, I saw blood.

“So-sor –“ she cried.

“Hey!” I heard Leah’s voice. I could hear in her voice that she was crying.

 I heard a small clink, Leah's yell, and a sob.

And then I blacked out.