Sneak Peak

DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW THE END!!!!!!!

The sun was setting against the rust colored sand and the wind kicked up bits of my hair. I had taken a hammer to break off a piece of stone, jagged and lopsided, like a bruised isosceles triangle. There were no words on the stone; nothing to tell a story of what had happened here. A storm would eventually come and take away the remnants left at the crag, the buzzing in my arms would fade and my heart would learn to cope with the decision I had made. For all of us.

Ian had offered to come with me. Loraine too. They respected my request to go by myself. They had helped me carry the body down the ravine and bury it.

Warm against my palm, I touched the stone, imagining my fingers were conduits sending my thoughts through a line. Apologies, admonitions, the hope that they might find peace. That she may help me find peace with what I had done. Because I couldn't voice what I felt through the sand in my throat.

Our world had been suffocating on their own denial for so long. Living to survive, to hide away and hurt those who threatened to pop their bubble of vehement. I know what was done was meant to happen. I had felt that I'd known all along; my confirmation bias. Nothing was just here and gone. Everything was around us buzzing towards remains of society, feeding off it's demise to fuel a new revolution. A new ploy for control. How did They not understand that history repeats itself? That those in the Epicenter would soon be them, begging with tin cans and needles in their arms. Deranged and starving.

That was the future. I was avoiding my own conscious.

I couldn't bring myself to kiss it. That would be a farewell and I understood well that I would see her again. For the first time, I understood that souls stuck around, amaranthine. It is their memories that motivate us to enact change. I didn't kiss it, only pulled my mask over my nose, letting my fingers graze it's edge as I made myself a shadow disappearing into the sunset.