Chapter 1

I looked over at my little sister, Braylen, as there was screaming downstairs between my mom and step-dad. My dad, Scott Shay, had passed away six years ago due to an accident at work. About two years after his death my mom decided she should start dating again. That's when my mom met the asshole she is married to today. Mike. My mom and Mike have been married for three years and I have no idea why she  would want to be with him in the first place. First off he has a terrible drinking problem, second off when he gets to drinking he becomes abusive. He has hit her many times. He has even hit my fifteen year-old sister. That's when I decided to come back home from college and switch to online school. The next time he lays a hand on either one of them I am going to call the police, since they won't grow a pair and call.

"I am so fucking done with your shit!" My step-dad yelled from downstairs, clearly drunk.

"I didn't do anything to you Mike." My mom said calmly.

"I work and work and work all day long and yet there is no meal on the table when I get home!"

I put down my pencil, shut my laptop, and look at my little sister as she is sitting in a chair in front of the mirror brushing her long brown hair.

"Do you think we should do something? In a few minutes it will get physical." Braylen said as she turned her head to look at me.

"Why do you not seem worried about it. This is a really big deal! Braylen, soon he will hit her so hard that she could die!" I screamed.

"Brinley, this happens all the time. I've gotten used to it. I know you just got here a couple days ago but, you will get used to it." Braylen said calmly.

We sat there in silence for a few minutes. I thought it was odd the it was so silent downstairs. I removed the bright pink blanket from my body, got up and walked toward the door.

"I'll be back in a second." I said as I opened the door. I walked to the steps and started walking down the steps. I got to the bottom of the steps and heard whimpering. I turned my head to the right and saw my step-dad on top of my mom in the living room with his hand over her throat.

"I'll make sure you won't tell anybody about this." Mike whispered in my moms ear.

He reached in his back pocket and pulled out a pocket knife.

"Stop! What the fuck are you doing?! I yelled at him.

Mike lifted his hand off my moms mouth and stood up.

"Honey, go back upstairs. Everything is fine." My mom said calmly while looking between me and Mike.

"No everything is not fucking fine mom! This needs to stop! Now! I know more than you think I do. Braylen has told me everything that happened while I was living on campus."

"She did huh? She's going to tell everybody!" Mike said as he started to walk towards the steps.

"Mike no!" My mom shouted.

I chased Mike up the steps with my mom following behind. He ran in the bedroom and tackled my little sister to the ground. he took out the pocket knife. My mom ran in the room and tried to get pull him off of her. I ran into my moms room and went through all the drawers. I finally found what I was looking for. A gun. I ran back into the bedroom.

"Hey Mike." I said as I started to raise the gun. he turned his head and looked me then finally stood up.

"Put the fucking knife down." He dropped the knife and starred at me. Without any warning I shot him in the leg.

"Holy shit! Why!" he yelled and he dropped to the ground.

"Oh my gosh! Brinley. I love you so much." Braylen said as she jumped up trying to hug me.