Chapter 1 - Mackenzie

"Tomorrow we have to go back to school, so we might as well enjoy today," I mumbled to Willa.  "Yeah," she replied.  I suddenly had a brilliant idea.  "Hey, how about we go to the beach?"  "Great idea.  Let's go!"  Willa exclaimed, excitedly.  Since we live so close to the beach, we decided to just ride our bikes there.  The beach was beautiful. It had soft white sand, clear water, and an awesome volleyball court!  We set up our umbrella and towels, and decided to go get smoothies.  "I can run down to Smooth Groove and pick some smoothies up for us," I offered, willingly.  "Great," Willa replied.  "Can I get a custom one with peaches, strawberries, yogurt and mango?" She asked.  "Got it."  I made a mental note of her order, and then I grabbed my bike and started pedaling to Smooth Groove.                                   

I was pedaling and pedaling.  I felt my long golden brown hair flowing in the wind.  The scenery was so beautiful.  Palm trees everywhere, cute shops, a nice temperature, and lovely flowers.  My eyes were getting so caught up in the atmosphere that I wasn't paying attention to where I was going.  All of the sudden, POW!  My tire smacked onto the curb, and I went flying.  I landed sideways on my ankle, and went tumbling down the street.  The streets were so empty, that nobody could see me.  I tried to get up, but the world was spinning, my arm and knees were bleeding, and my ankle couldn't support my weight. "Help!" I whimpered, but nobody could hear me. 

Meanwhile at the beach...

"Mackenzie has been gone a really long time," Willa though to herself.  Maybe I should go check on her."  Willa started casually pedaling, and with every second, she got faster.  She saw something in the distance lying on the floor, but she couldn't make out what it was. As she got closer, she realized it was a person, and not just any person.  It was Mackenzie!

"OMG!  Mackenzie, are you ok?"  Willa shouted.  "Yeah, I'm fine."  I replied.  Except that my arms hurt and my knees hurt and my ankle hurts."  I'm going to call your mom and have her pick us up, ok?"  "Ok."  I could barely make out the words, but I knew that Willa would be able to help me.  A couple of minutes later, my mom arrived.  Willa and my mom carried me into the front seat of the car, and then we drove off.  I saw my mom going a different way than we normally go, and I realized we were going to urgent care.  "Mon, I'm fine!  I don't need to go to urgent care!"  I had finally started to gain some of my energy back.  "Yes, you do," she insisted.  "Fine," I agreed.

"Well, she has a broken ankle." the doctor told us.  He asked me what color cast I wanted, and I said light pink.  He wrapped my leg in the cast. "the other cuts are fine.  I will wash them out right now." And with that, we were off.  (Well, after he had washed out my cuts.) 

            Well, what a great way to start off the school year, I thought to myself.  I'll be like this for so long! Ugg!  

****

            "Mackenzie, do you need some help getting your backpack?"  Mom shouted.  "No, that's ok," I replied.  I didn't want to go to school.  I just wanted to go shopping.  "I won't be able to go to school with a BROKEN ANKLE!" I mumbled to myself.  Soon enough, I was out the door.

                                                        As I was walking, I met up with Willa, and another one of my friends, Isabella.  "Holy Guacamole! What happened to you?"  Isabella asked me.  "Oh, just a broken ankle." I replied. "JUST a broken ankle!  Are you kidding me? A broken ankle is terrible!"  She answered, surprised.  "I don't really want to talk about it," I replied to her.  She was being way too bubbly right now.  It's bad enough that it is the first day of school, but now I have a broken ankle? I don't think it can get much worse than this.  We walked the rest of the way to school in silence.

RINGGG I rushed to math, my first class of the day.  Lucky for me, I had it with Willa.  I gathered my books from my brand new backpack, which was a ballerina pink color, my favorite.  "C'mon Mackenzie, hurry up!"  Willa said to me.  In math, our teacher, Mrs. Hoster let us pick our seats.  Willa and I are both really good at math, so we like to sit up towards the front.

"Has everyone found a seat?"  Mrs. Hoster asked.  "Yes" The class replied back to her.  "Ok, class, welcome to your first day of 7th grade!  I hope that you end up enjoying the schoolyear, and my math class.  Now with that, let's get into it."   Mrs. Hoster started taking attendance.  "Willa Athena?" "Here!" Mackenzie Cooper?" "Here!"  I exclaimed, .  without hesitation.  "Lucas Draymond?" "Here!"  I looked around to see where the voice was coming from, and it turns out the boy was sitting right behind me.  When I looked back, he smiled at me.  Wow. He has a really cute smile.  I waved, and turned back around. Things just went from bad, to a lot better.

Willa nudged me on my shoulder softly, and I looked over at her.  She smiled at me, and gestured toward the boy behind me, Lucas.  I immediately knew what she was thinking.  She thought I liked him.  No!  I silently mouthed.   Yes! She mouthed back to me.  I didn't want to get off to a bad start in math class, my favorite subject, so I turned toward the teacher and started to pay attention again.

Leave a comment down below of what you though of the chapter!  Also, don't forget to vote!

- Carly