Death

A little, chestnut haired girl with emerald green eyes, named Laura stood on the road looking at her now lifeless body. A black dressed, old man walked up to her and sat on the bench by the road watching her. She turned around to look at him. She noticed immediately his many wrinkles on his face and baldness. She looked into his deep, dark brown eyes, and stared for a moment. Laura wasn't scared, she was curious to whom this man was, and why nobody seemed to notice him either. She already knew what happened when she could see herself. After a moment of silence she asked the mysterious man "Who are you?"

He replied in a deep voice and casual tone, like he was always asked this. "I am Death."

Laura nodded in understanding. "So you're going to take me to one place or the other?"

"Yes, that is correct."

There was a moment of silence. Laura broke the silence, "Before I go, can I ask you something?"

Death was used to this by now. They always asked what was on the other side or what happens next. It gets really boring after answering it more times than he can count. He was annoyed now, full of sorrow and full of infinity and by now he's expecting the regular question, but this question was different. He was stunned when Laura asked "What do you remember?"

He has to think about this question for a moment. Nobody has asked him this question before and never thought anyone would ask about him. Usually it's all about that person, but not to this special little girl.

"Well I remember a lot of things, Laura." He replied. "What do you want me to tell you?"

Without a hesitant thought she replied "Everything." After a long pause she added quietly "If you want to." She looked down at her feet.

"It's alright; I am delighted to tell you everything I remember. I just never expected anyone to ask any question about me before. Usually it's about what's on the other side."

"I already know what's on the other side." Laura replied with confidence.

"You do?"

"Yes, my granny always said it was the place you called home, with all of your loved ones and you would never leave there."

Death looked at her, "Yes, your grandmother was very wise."

A moment of silence fell until Death continued. "I remember the making of time and before time was invented. I remember taking Able because his brother, Cain had killed him. Cain was a very prideful man and grew jealous of Able so the only way Cain thought would solve the problem was to kill his brother."

Laura looked astounded as Death spoke from his memory, which was very good giving he was very old. Death continued.

"After Able, it was Adam and Eve. The first two people God ever created. They were lovely people to talk to. Then came Cain, then his children, and after that his children's children, and the list goes on and on til this moment. I remember taking Moses after he died and left Joshua in charged; he told me all about how he split the Red Sea, and the seven plagues on the Egyptian pharaoh. I remember speaking to each and every president that ever died. They were very great men, like Abraham Lincoln, who demolished slavery, or Ulysses Grant, who was a brave solider during the Civil War. The Civil War was a very busy time for me. Everywhere I turned there was always someone waiting to be taken, just like all of the great wars we've fought, like World War one and two. People have come and gone. Some intriguing and some dull. And every great once and a while I come across a particular person that I will surely never forget, like you, little one."

The little chestnut haired girl smiled. Then another question came across her little mind.

"Do you like your job?" she asked in an uncertain tone.

It took a few moments for Death to think about it.

"I do, and I do not, little one. You see, I get to have conversations with some people that I get to know well enough to call them my friend, and other times I meet people to who I just show their way to their place where they will spend the rest of eternity for. Some of them weep on sorrow and grief because they didn't say what they wanted to their significant other, or they have children to still watch grow and love unconditionally. It pains me when they are like this, but it pains me even more when I look at their loved ones weep in sorrow, wishing they could bring them back. The people I take always plead to go back, but I cannot, it is not my responsibility to decide their fate."

The emerald green eyed girl tried to think about other questions to ask Death, but came up short. She wanted to know everything about him, like his favorite color, or favorite animal. Then suddenly a question wandered into her little brain.

"Do you have any family? Where is your mom and dad?" she asked, curiosity filling her voice.

Death sighed. "My dear child, I do not have a mother or a father. Not even a sister or a brother, or even a friend."

Laura's face that was once filled with curiosity was now filled with sadness.

"I could be your friend" Laura said looking into the eyes of Death. In what seems like forever, Death genuinely smiled at the little girl he has grown close to in only a short time. He knew she was special the moment he looked at her face filled with curiosity and wonder.

"That is very kind of you Laura, but you must go to the other side and face judgement." Death spoke, starting to look a little grim. He didn't want Laura to go to judgement; he wanted her here with him. He could teach her everything she wanted to know, and tell her what actually happened in history and how everyone changed it so they didn't have to reveal the truth.

"But I want to stay her with you."

"You have to go. You will get to see your grandmother again; even your dog, Fluffy and your mouse, squeakers."

Laura sighed, accepting that she couldn't stay with the kind man named Death. Death leader her to the door where she will face judgement and see her pets and grandmother, and all of who she has ever lost again. Right before she opened the door she turned back to Death and have him a big, warm, hug. To Deaths and her surprised he hugged back; tighter than he ever had. She let go, after a few long moments in which Death would never forget, and spoke "Thank you." Death replied "You're welcome. And thank you for making me remember and making me feel loved again." The little chestnut haired girl with emerald eyes named Laura smiled up at Death again and walked through the door.