Chapter 1-- Dark Streets

I sat in my room. My legs stretched out, reaching the end of my bed with my 6"1 height. I had my laptop on my lap, as my fingers quickly typed across the keyboard; finishing my History assignment. I had been working on it for the past 3 hours, plenty of coffee was needed but eventually I got it done. I yawned loudly, stretching my arms above my head and rubbing my eyes, making sure to print out the assignment.

"Justin honey! Could you go out and get me some milk?" I heard my mother's voice shout from downstairs. I shouted back that I would, before going to my closet to get a pair of grey joggers and a white t-shirt since it was 10 o'clock and chances were I wouldn't see anyone I knew.

It was only me and my mother now, after my father left us when I turned 6 and left my mother heart broken. So, I made sure to help her as much as I could. I tidied up, went shopping when she was on a night shift, and made sure to never get in trouble in school by keeping my grades up. They were only small things but they were all worth it to see that smile on my mothers face when I would do them.

I quickly grabbed a jacket since it was pretty cold outside in Autumn, and ran downstairs to my smiling mother holding out money in her hand for me to take. I kissed her cheek gently and told her I would be 10 minutes, before leaving the house and down the pathway.

It was dark outside now, the streets were abandoned apart from a few people walking dogs or going the shop as well. I tucked my hands into my jacket pockets and started to walk quicker. I'm not going to lie, it is pretty scary being out at this time since we didn't live in the most peaceful neighbourhood. After my dad died mom had to take up a few jobs in order to keep up stabilised. And this is what we could afford for now but I would be taking up a job soon as well as college and would be able to help out as much as possible hopefully.

I was still in high school, sadly, let's just say I wouldn't put myself in the popular group, filled with jocks and cheerleaders, but I was just normal, wasn't bullied, but also wasn't drooled at by girls, since I tended to keep myself to my group of friends, rather than wanting the attention of the whole school. I was more of the middle to be honest, I had a secure group of friends that I had known all my life, isn't that enough?

"Justin sweetie! Should you be out at this time?!" Doris gasped from behind the counter. Doris had owned the shop for 30 years, and was basically like a grandmother to me. She would help my mother out whenever she needed it, and when I was younger she would babysit me so mom wouldn't have to worry.

"Mom needed some milk Dor, I'd rather go than her," I told her softly and she nodded in understanding, coming over and scrunching my face in between her hands. And kissing both of my cheeks, before leaning down and grabbing the milk that I needed.

I went to hand her the money when her small, wrinkled hand wrapped around mine and she shook her head. "Don't worry about it Justin," she smiles and I went to protest but she raised her hand. "You and your mother are family to me, therefore family get special treatment, you know that honey," she said with a small mischievous smile on her face and I laughed lightly. I kissed her cheek softly and walked out with the milk, promising to be back soon and to come round for dinner next week.

I was walking down the street when I heard my phone ring, I took it out of my pocket, seeing my best friend Mikey's name across the screen. I pressed accept and brought the phone to my ear. "Hey man, what's up?"

"Jay mind if I stay at yours tonight? One last time bro I promise," he asked hurriedly and I knew what he meant straight away. Mikey's dad was an abusive drunk, after his mother died 3 years ago, his dad turned into a right díck and just turned to alcohol. With that in his system he took all his aggression out on Mikey and I hated it, but I couldn't do anything since Mikey didn't want anyone knowing about it besides me. The only thing I can do is offer my house whenever he needs it.