7 - x PROBLEMS x

(If you need to refresh on what's going on please do so. I hope it's not too much of a hassle, sorry for the wait. Enjoy..)

"I'm scared."

"What are you scared of?"

"....."

"Talk to me, Essence."

A singe tear threatened to fall from Essence's eye, but she blinked it away.

"I dreamt about my dad last night."

"And what happened?"

She took a deep breath and attempted to recall the events of her dream from the night before.

"I was standing in the same spot I was that day I saw him leave when I was nine. But I was my present self. I watched him walk in, not out. He was just..staring at me. Everything was blurring and fading in the background along with him. It was all going black and he was trying to say something to me. He was trying to say something and I couldn't hear him and-"

She stopped herself from crying again. "And then I woke up."

"It's okay. Just breathe."

"I don't know what that means," she whispered.

"Maybe he's..trying to reach out to you. In a way. They say when you dream about someone, they're thinking about you."

She was silent.

"Essence, what are you honestly scared of?"

She sighed.

"Love."

The timer went off, signaling the end of their session.

Essence gathered her things and quietly left her therapist's office.

●●●

Essence tiredly entered her home and dropped her car keys on the coffee table. Checking her phone, she realized she had a couple missed calls and texts from some unimportant people. Nothing else. Her screen lit up.

Incoming Call : Andrew

She rolled her eyes and accepted the call.

"Hey baby," she said, lacing her voice with happiness that she didn't really feel.

"Oh..hey. I didn't even expect you to pick up. For a minute I thought you were ignoring me," he chuckled. She knew he was smiling. Andrew damn near loved her and she's never even had sex with him. But she only loved how deep his pockets were.

"Of course not. You know I'm busy at times and I always talk to you when I can. What have you been up to? I can't lie, I've missed you."

"I miss you more beautiful. I don't know if you saw my text from last night. Asking if you wanted to do some shopping? I got paid and I was holding it for you."

She could feel the nervousness in his voice.

She could hear the way he held his breath.

She knew he was in his head just wishing she would say yes.

She smiled.

"Yes. I'd love to go shopping. Tomorrow around 12. Meet me at the mall."

Essence heard him sigh in relief.

"T-That's great. I'll meet you."

"I'll see you tomorrow."

"I thought we could maybe stay on the phone? I mean..well..never mind. You probably have things to do and...okay. Well yeah, I'll see you."