Thirty-One.

The bonfire had been burning in the front yard of the fraternity for over an hour before Melanie finally appeared wearing a green Christmas sweater and a pair of apple red heels. A sense of relief washed over me when I saw her approach, almost like I'd been holding my breath until she showed up. And, in some ways, I had been. Finals started on Monday, and in a little over a week, I'd be back in Massachusetts until the new semester started in January. On the one hand, I was looking forward to the break, but I also knew that tonight would probably be the last time I saw Melanie in just under a month.

Sophie hopped up from the bench where she and Parker had been huddled to greet her friend, yanking off the Santa hat that she wore and placing it on Melanie's head before she could protest.

"It looks so cute on you," I heard Sophie say while hugging Melanie with her sinewy arms.

"Don't you want to wear it?" Melanie asked as Sophie let go, tenderly touching the giant pom-pom ball that hung off the hat's end.

"It doesn't really fit me," Sophie admitted. "Maybe you haven't noticed, but my forehead's the size of Alaska."

Melanie laughed, obviously unsure of what to say. As I watched her make the rounds and say hello to the people she knew outside, I felt myself growing both self-conscious and excited that she'd eventually have to greet me, too. Her gaze didn't drift my way once until she was finally standing in front of me with a nervous smile on her face.

"Hi," she said.

"Hey." Without thinking, I reached up and smoothed my hair down. "You came."

"Uh-oh. You sound surprised." Melanie tilted her head. "Should I leave?"

"No, no," I said quickly. "I just—I wasn't sure you'd make it, that's all."

"Well, you invited me."

She looked down at her shoes. I cleared my throat. "So, how've you been?" I asked.

"Fine, I guess." She shrugged. "How about you? You look better than you did the other day."

"Yeah, I, uh, feel a lot better, too. Thanks again for the crackers and everything."

"Any time." We lapsed into an awkward silence and Melanie touched one of the curls that framed her face. "Oh, did Parker tell you my thesis proposal got approved?"

"No, he didn't, but that's awesome. Congratulations."

The glow from the fire highlighted the pride that spread across her face. "Thank you."

With her hazel eyes trained on me again, I tugged at my collar; whoever thought wearing sweaters in the middle of an LA winter was a good idea must have been a sadist. Melanie adjusted her hat and then asked, "Are you ready for your kinesiology final?"

"I think so," I replied. "I've been studying a lot more than usual for it, so hopefully I'll be alright."

"You will be." Melanie's smile felt wholly reassuring. "I never really thought that you needed my help—well, at least not after our first few sessions."

"I wouldn't have made it through the semester if it hadn't been for you." I swallowed as I held her gaze. The next words came out of my mouth before I could stop them. "Sophie's right. That hat does look cute on you."

She blinked and someone slapped me on the back before I could say anything else to embarrass myself. "Hey," Parker said, and Melanie's attention drifted over to him. "Can you mix the next batch of drinks?"

"Who? Me?" I asked. Parker rolled his eyes.

"No, Melanie. Figured she should do some work since she's here."