Chapter 2

I start work on Monday, but I have to visit the Carter family tomorrow to meet all of them. 

Why did my mother have to sign me up to babysit!? I tried protesting but she always changed the subject, not even bothering to argue with me. My mother has no regrets or second thoughts. “What’s done is done,” that’s her motto and she doesn’t ever change her decisions. So it was kind of pointless, fighting with her, but I really didn’t want to babysit.

 I headed over to my bathroom, took a quick shower and changed into jeans and a white shirt.

 “Hey dad,” I greeted as I entered the kitchen. I grabbed an apple from a bowl on the counter and began munching on it.

 My dad was sitting at the table reading the newspaper. “Hi sweetie.” he replied, not looking up from whatever he was reading. My dad is a very serious, quiet man. He always has focus and determination written in his hazel eyes. Not that he wasn’t fun, he was I guess, before he got promoted 5 years ago. His first priority is now his job and I don’t mind it because he still cares for me and he's the one providing for us. My mother is kind of the same as my dad, focused and serious but in a more loving, caring way.

 I hurried, ate my apple, kissed my father on the forehead and stormed out the door. I arrived at school in less than 5 minutes and walked over to my locker to see Riley leaning on it.

 “Mae! Did you find a job?” She asked, leaning off my locker.

"Uhuh” I muttered as unlocked my combination.

"What is it?”

 “Babysitting.” I said, taking my books out.

 “You. Baby. Sitting!” She said in between laughs.

 I glared at her. “Shut up, my mum volunteered me and I had no say in it.”

 She continued laughing and I closed my locker, power walking past her. She can be so annoying sometimes. Riley caught up to me and grabbed hold of my shoulder.

“Geez no need to be a drama queen, it’s just that every kid you come across hates you!”she giggled.

“Gee, that makes me feel totally better.”

“Well it’s true.”

I know it’s true. One time I was at the mall, close to Christmas time, and saw a little 4-year old boy with soft blonde curls jumping up & down trying to get a peak at Santa Claus. Well I felt sorry for him and asked him if he wanted to move closer. Though I think he got scared of me because he created a massive scene, crying so loud and running off to his mum. People around me then started shouting “Pedophile!” and “Child molester!” So basically I had to run before security guards would start chasing me. People can be so harsh these days.

“Whatever, I can handle a few kids.”

Riley winked “Whatever you say”.

We walked into our Art class and headed over to our seats. The art class was filled with all sorts of paintings hanging around the room that students have made. There was even one wall that had a mural of a sunset. The stools circled each other and each seat had a canvas in front of them.

People started to arrive and then the teacher came in. She told us to draw what we’re feeling. I had no idea what she meant by that so I started splatting random colours on my canvas. Someone snickered as they walked past my painting and my head snapped up to the side. It was none other than some guy with messy golden brown hair, which kind of looked like a Justin Bieber haircut. I ignored his insult. I already know I’m not an amazing artist. Riley though was like the girl version of Leonardo DaVinci. After half an hour had passed, I finished my painting and decided to show Ril.