Chapter 10

The trip back to the castle was uneventful, neither of us talking much as we pushed through the long grass that came up to our waists in this particular area

The trip back to the castle was uneventful, neither of us talking much as we pushed through the long grass that came up to our waists in this particular area. I think the fact that our little journey was coming to an end had finally sunk into Link's mind as well. Nevertheless, he was never one to let the awkwardness last for too long, and of the two of us, was the one who started up the conversations as usual.

"So," he said lazily, throwing his hands behind his head, "what'd you do all day while I was fighting for my life inside a giant fish and getting engaged?"

"Thinking," I replied, "about Carla and Nico."

"Nico's going to be a big brother soon! He must be excited, huh?"

"Yeah. Hopefully all goes well."

"Well why wouldn't it?"

"Link, women can die giving birth you know."

"Really?" his eyes widened. "How do you know?"

"I've seen it happen," I said. Then my voice became very soft. I wanted to see what he thought. Even if my grandmother disagreed with me, I needed his opinion as well. "It's also how I killed my mother. By being born."

Link's eyes met mine. They looked sad.

"Stupid. I'm a murderer," I kicked the dirt in disgust as we walked.

"No, you're not," Link said firmly, his gaze sharp. "You had no control over it." I threw him a sideways glance.

"You know, my grandmother says the same thing," I sighed. "And I can't seem to convince her otherwise. I'm sure my father would have despised me."

"And where's he?"

"Dead. A sickness before I was born."

"I'm sorry about that."

"Don't be. I didn't know him. I've got my grandmother now. Although I never did ask her whether she was my dad's mom, or my mother's. Now I'm curious." Link smiled slightly.

"I didn't know any of my parents either. I was raised by the Great Deku Tree. He was my father," his eyes became distant, as though lost in a past memory.

"Are you looking forward to seeing him again once this is all over?" Link stopped walking. So did I.

"Well actually, just before I left the forest," his eyebrows scrunched as he bit his lip. "The Great Deku Tree became cursed." His eyes closed momentarily before bursting open as he looked at me in anguish. "But he died anyway! I couldn't save him, Ash!" I rushed forward faster than I thought I humanly could, as though to catch the tears before they fell. Of course, I was late and they were already dripping down Link's chin by the time I got my arms around him. The sudden urge to comfort this boy astounded me, the intensification of my emotions ever since I met him puzzling. Yet, despite all I had said to him: the mockery, the rude tones, and the indifference, he latched onto my impulsive act of humanity like a baby to a bottle. All of the strength he'd shown so far fell away, and somehow, he had the courage to shed his mask as I had mine, and this fact made me happy. I smiled gently as I hugged him a little tighter, shushing him gently, until he finally calmed down. He looked at me with his tear stained face and red eyes as he came out of the hug, and let out a hiccuped laugh.