Once Upon a Time

Age ten
Daniel's POV
"Happy birthday!" The group yelled as I blew out my candles. "Okay girls, upstairs now." Mom told us as we got our slices of cake. "You all can eat in the play area. Dan will show you where it is." We made our way upstairs, giggling as we talked to each other. We arrived in the room, sitting in a semi circle around the television. As the night drew on, we began to talk. "Dan, why do you have a boys name?" Oh my. The dreaded question. None of them know. I thought to myself. None of them even realise. You could say that I was very good at keeping secrets, and this was the biggest one of all. I'd realised when I was very young that I didn't like guys. I thought it was just how I thought then, but it never went away. And that's not something I wanted them to know.
Age twenty-five
Daniel's POV
"PHILLIS WHERE IS MY STRAIGHTENER?" I scream through our flat. "Dan, I don't like you using my full name, and you know that. It's in the bottom drawer of the bathroom, right where it normally is." Phil and I have been flat mates for seven years, and although I feel more towards her, she seems like she would like to keep it just the way it is. I quickly run the straightener through my short bob hair cut, and run downstairs to make my cereal before Phil eats it all. You could say that we are "famous", after we hit big making videos on YouTube, but Phil still can't buy her own cereal instead of eating all of mine. After breakfast, I do what any normal person does in the morning: Browse the internet. "Browsing position?" Phil asks as she plugs in her laptop charger. "You know it." I respond with a smirk on my face. Phil is so different than I. She always is full of light and fun, and when we first met she brought that fun into my life. You can't help but love her.