Trouble in the House

That evening, Alice woke to see a sleeping Ratchet right next to her. She became confused.

"What just happened? Why am I here?"

Just at that moment, Ratchet stirred and opened his emerald eyes.

"What happened?" Ratchet asked, rubbing his aching head.

"I have no idea, but it's 5:25 PM."

"Really?" he said, sounding as if he couldn't believe it. "Well that was one heck of a nap."

"Where's Clank?" she asked. Ratchet turned around and sure enough, there was no robot in sight.

"Probably downstairs," he said. "I'll check on him."

"No, don't. Remember you passed out earlier. You should stay here. I'll check on Clank."

Ratchet looked uncertain at first but then he agreed. Alice then proceeded to go downstairs. She walked into the kitchen and gasped at what she saw. Plates were smashed, cabinet doors were hanging off the hinges, and there was a Combustor on the tile floor. How could she and Ratchet not have heard? She then walked around the island to see an unconscious Clank, oil blood pouring out his side. One of his lenses was cracked and his chest compartment was wide open.

"Clank? Clank!" Alice screamed. "Can you hear me?!"

There was nothing. Just more silence.

"Oh my god. Ratchet! Come down here quick!"

Alice then proceeded trying to revive Clank but to no avail. About 5 seconds later, Ratchet rushed down the stairs, breathing heavily and grabbing his pounding head.

"What happened?! Why is Clank on the ground?!"

Alice tried to contain her tears but they streamed down her cheeks anyway.

"I don't know why. I found him on the floor, bleeding. But you have to help me revive him. You're the only one who knows how to fix him."

Ratchet stared into Alice's tear-filled eyes. He could feel an ache in his heart that he never felt before.

"Alright let's save Clank."

____________________________

Fifteen excruciating minutes later, Ratchet was able to reboot Clank, patch his wound, and replace his eye. Alice was relieved that Clank was functional again.

"What happened?" Clank asked once he retained focus on the two Lombaxes.

"We're not sure pal," Ratchet said. "We think someone broke into the house and shot you."

While Ratchet was explaining what happened to Clank, Alice noticed movement behind the island. She approached it carefully. As she crept near it, Ratchet and Clank stared at her in confusion.

"Alice?" Ratchet asked. "What are you doing?"

Alice didn't answer. But what happened next was considered unbelievable because she looked behind the counter and saw Dr. Nefarious and his butler, Lawrence, hiding there.

"Dr. Nefarious?!" She said.

Once they took notice of her, everything happened at once. Nefarious pulled out his gun and shot Alice, the bullet hitting her on the side. She screamed in pain as she grabbed her side, blood staining her hands. Ratchet gasped as he saw her fall to her knees, grabbing her side. He rushed to her, seeing the bloody wound she had on the side of her torso. She was slowly growing weaker as her blood spilled all over the floor and Ratchet's lap, and she became noticeably paler. Ratchet, fighting his instinct to faint at the sight of the blood on his lap, looked at her face to see her lifeless eyes and noticed her brown hair was becoming colorless. Ratchet was so concerned about Alice that he didn't notice Nefarious and Lawrence escaping. But that was the least of his worries. She was dying!