Chapter 10

Ed looked into Angel's eyes, still seeing Andi's for some reason after he had blinked. He was speechless, being a man who usually knew what to say most of the time. He bit back the urge to ask Angel if she was Andi in hiding, but didn't. He couldn't ask some random girl he hardly knew if she was.

"Sorry," Ed uttered as he removed his hand from her hair, letting the strands of her hair slide easily from his hand yet linger for a moment. 

Angel looked up and shook her head. "Why?"

Ed sighed, looking to the ground, somehow unable to look Angel in the eye. "It's complicated. I'm sorry, Angel. I didn't mean to kiss you."

"It's your wife, isn't it? The one that's gone."

Ed looked to her, shocked. "How would you know...?"

"Roy, your friend, told me at the bakery, remember?" When Ed didn't respond, Angel went on. Admittedly, she was disappointed that Edward had regretted kissing her, yet she couldn't bring herself to express it. "I understand why you said that. But," she took in a deep breath, "I don't regret kissing you back."

"You don't?" Ed sounded shocked, remembering when Andi had told him the same after Riza had caught them kissing in Roy's office when he wasn't in there. That was back when Roy had no idea Andi was interested in Ed, and Andi and Ed were merely pretending to despise each other.

Angel shook her head. "No," she smiled slightly, just like Andi had what seemed like a complete lifetime ago.

Ed smiled in spite of himself, feeling the warmth he felt as he kissed Angel spread. His mind started to reel with conflicting thoughts. Kiss her again, Ed, look at her, she's just like Andi, he thought at one point.

Don't do it, you're still married to Andi no matter what's happened to her. Dead or alive, Andi is still your wife. What are vows for when you're only going to break them, another thought ran through his head.

Angel had turned from Ed, focusing on the gardens. She looked around to the dimly lit lights and how they created an almost warm effect on the bloomed flowers and bushes. In some places, there was a flicker of fireflies. She liked the place. 

"Angel, I..." Ed started before catching himself. He didn't know what he wanted to say to her. He already felt terrible about showing the regret in kissing her. "We should get back to the bar, you came with friends, right?"

Angel nodded, letting her distaste for going back show. If she went back, Envy and Greed would take her back to the mansion and would possibly not let her leave because she didn't tell them she was leaving with Ed.

"You don't want to go back, do you?"

Angel shook her head. "My reasons are complicated."

"Then let's keep walking. I'll think of somewhere you can go then," Ed said. He wondered why she didn't want to go back. What were those friends like? Or were they overprotective siblings?

Ed and Angel kept walking through the gardens. Angel looked to Ed as they walked and instantly, a flash went through her mind. It was nighttime and the blonde girl was looking to Ed. She knew it was Ed. That was unmistakable. But the blonde, she still couldn't make out. Ed was smiling to the girl under the dim, orange glow of the streetlights. He was wearing a black jacket as she wore a long, red coat with the alchemy flamel on the back. Angel could tell she was smiling back to him. Ed had grabbed her wrist, pulling her near him as she fought him. Something was off.

"No, Ed, Roy could see us at any moment," she said, concerned. "I'd hate to see you be burned to a crisp because Roy found out what's going on between us."