Burning Tobacco

"fffuuuuck!" Mathew cried as soon as the door slammed behind him, throwing his hands to the desk he tried to regain his breath. He just got shit caned and it was bad. Apparently he was snapping at clients to often, his boss was "worried" the stress was getting to him, and had to fire him. He was a cash consultant and it wasn't his fault his clients were stupid, they were to blame.

Don't spend so much money and your Friday night drinks, don't have such expensive pudding after your family outing, sure have a coffee on the way to work but don't give the waiter a fifty percent tip every dam time.

That's what really kept him in business, not the people that spend half there salary on drugs or anything, not the bad people, but the nice people. Nice people were the ones who constantly invite strangers to Diner, nice people give tips half the size of the bill, nice people who "help out". Whether it be with giving money to the homeless, or wasting petrol to give hitchhikers lifts all the way home.

Sighing he ran his shaking hands through his short brown hair, he knew it wasn't his clients... It was his wife. She insisted he quit smoking because she couldn't handle the smell anymore, and as the good husband he was, he had tried, and he had tried hard.

He was one of the bad people. He spent his salary on his addiction.

He started walking to the other side of his office with probably the most helpless look he had ever worn, if he got home soon he would be able to brush his teeth and take a shower, she would still be at book club and wouldn't be any the wiser, right now he needed to smoke, he needed to smoke bad.

Reaching to the top of his cupboard he pulled down a small black box and opened it, relief swept over him as he peered inside, a full box of matches, and his favorite smokes. Dunhill switch. The black and green box stared back at him as his desperate hands closed around each.

He had been smoking for a long time, and he knew how to smoke properly, the last two puffs, always the last two puffs, he had grown nearly fanatic about it. He would take long puffs till it was down to the last two drags then brake the ball and suck like hell. Just like that two puffs become one long drag.

The brown, nearly orange eyes that his wife had once fallen in love with filled with excitement at the prospect of a smoke. He placed the stick of nicotine in its rightful place and ripped the matchbox open, pulling the match out his excitement reached its peek, he was going to get his smoke, he was finally going to get his smoke.

His heart sank as the match scratched off the side of the box and broke, no matter, there were plenty of matches. Pulling another one out it snapped in his fingers. Great, third Time lucky.

However the third match caught alight and faded before it could get to its destination, now his hands were shaking so erratically he dropped the entire box.

With a yell of frustration he knelt, fell on his knees, and started trying to pickup his matches. Now on his knees he scratched another match to no avail, tried another one and it missed completely. Scratching match after match he started descending even further into panic, his heart was beating at unsafe speeds and he was sweating like he had run a marathon, he needed a smoke. He needed it now.

If he could focus on anything but his smoke he would of noticed that the temperature in his office was increasing three degrees Celsius per second, and it was getting hot.

And this was how for the first time in his normal life he activated his super natural heritage.

The match in his hand set alight, then so did all the matches in the box, not that he noticed.

He brought the quickly burning match to his cigarette with what could only be described as pure delight, not that it lasted long. Delight turned to confusion as he burnt his hand and his cigarette burst into flames, it caught his hair and in only two painfully heated seconds his entire body burst into a searing orange.

The quickly charing Mathew screamed in pain as the flames only Burnt brighter, the box of cigarettes all but forgotten was trampled under his panicked feet, charging through his office door the receptionist screamed at the charging wall of flames as everything around him caught ablaze.

______________________________________________

Mathew Alexey had a type one pyrokinetic ability known as combust. He could increase the temperature and size of a flame or decrease it. It was generally easy to control and not all that useful however far more common than most pyrokinetic powers.

The entire building was engulfed in a brilliant blaze that took two days to extinguish and still no one could decipher the cause. The death count, including the all those affected outside the building, was concluded as 36, 15 missing, and 27 were injured.

When Mathew was asked what his ultimate regret was due to his untimely demise, his reply went as following :

"many people died, including myself. And I miss my wife, however if I'm 100% honest with myself.... My biggest regret... Was I never did get to finish that cigarette"

His hidden ability was brought on by pressure at the age of 34, he used his ability once... And never again.