A L A N A

The title of this chapter is the bane of my existence.

Do you ever have someone pronounce your name wrong so many times that you just want to strangle anyone who says it? Well this happens to me a lot.

My name is NOT pronounced Alanna. That is a mistake every single teacher I've ever had has made. My name is pronounced Alaina or Elena. Even my own family spells it wrong! They know it's Alana, but they always spell it Alaina. One of them even spelt it Elana.

Now in 1st grade I was so sick of everyone pronouncing it wrong so you know what I did? I changed it. Not legally, just out of the blue I started spelling my name Alaina. My teachers were so confused!

The summer after 5th grade I got so sick of teachers being confused that I changed it back to Alana for middle school. I am now soon entering 8th grade and still spell it Alana.

My math teacher approached me the other day and the conversation went like this.

Him: Alana, I understand now. I heard them call you Alanna on the loud speaker yesterday. At the beginning of the year when you forcefully corrected me, I thought, "woah this girl needs to chill out," but I get it now.
Me: yeah it's a real pain.

And then do you know what he did a day after that conversation? PRONOUNCED IT ALANNA. He laughed after he did it saying that it was funny because we were just having a conversation about it the day before.

I swear, I can't win.