A White Room-Chapter 3

AN: Hey everybody! I just got a bunch of awesome covers made and I love them all! I enlisted my best friend for help but I still couldn't choose between four of them, so I am officially going to become one of those annoying people who changes their cover all the time. Yippee! The first one is made by Nnekka, so this chapter is dedicated to her. Thanks so much!

Chapter 3

It was bright. Even with my eyes closed I could tell that. The underside of my eyelids were lit with a pink glow. Opening them as slowly as I could, it still didn't help. The light stabbed into my eyes, driving icepicks through my skull. I slammed them closed, bringing cool relief. Even then, it was impossible to avoid the headache exploading in my skull. It had been there since I woke up, brought into full power by the force of the light.

For I surely had been sleeping. I knew that. And I knew that I had been kidnapped. There was no sudden rush of memories, as it all came back to me, like they said in the books. That would have been too kind. No, I wasn't even allowed that slight moment of peace, when you look around you and think where am I?, where you don't feel the cold, gripping terror of knowledge.

I continued to lay there, I didn't know how long. There was no way to mark time in the room full of artificial light and rosy eyelids. In fact, any change at all was so slow that it went unnoticed, so that it felt as though you were suspended in a nothingness that required neither energy nor thought. I could feel it though. I could feel the resolve trickle through my veins; harden my heart. I was here, in an unknown place, for an unknown reason, and I would not go down without a fight. Call it fight or flight, I called it desperation.

I brought the resolve to the front of my mind. I held it there and let it grow. Shaped it into a girl. A girl who would fight. Filled it out until it overwhelmed my mind. Finally, slowly, I brought my legs in to my chest and sat up. No need to completely blind myself when I opened my eyes. I reached to pull my shirt up over my eyes.

And my eyes flew open on their own accord.

The shooting pain didn't matter. The glare that forced me to squint was irrelevant. All that mattered was what I was seeing through my slitted eyes. I was sitting on a hard white table in a room that seemed to have light streaming out of every corner. There was no escaping it.

And I had no clothes on.

I was completely, one hundred per cent naked. Those freaking sadists stole my clothes! They saw me naked! And if I was naked, why couldn't I feel my hair brushing my shoulders and back? Fearing the worst, I reached up to touch my scalp.

I was bald.

All my long, beautiful hair was gone. One of the only two features I got from my mom was ripped from my grasp. Looking closer, I could see that that wasn't the only thing gone. I had no hair on my body. Whatsoever. My arms were shaved, my legs were shaved. MY EYEBROWS WERE GONE! What kind of person shaves off someon'e eyebrows just for the fun of it? What the heck did they hope to accomplish by doing that?

My internal ravings were interrupted by my resolve punching her iron fist into the backs of my eyes. The pain slammed through my head and I immediately regretted my naive decision to give her boxing gloves. Still, there was no stopping her now. She ran up into my brain and took over main control panel. So what if I was naked? It was better than dying. So what if my hair was gone? Hair grew back. Right now, I didn't have time to mourn the temporary. I had to leave.

Against my will, my arms came up and gripped the edge of my table. Without consulting me, my legs swung over the side of my makeshift bed. Despite great protest, my body shoved itself onto it's feet.