Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again

"It was you," I said softly, gazing up at him. "You're the one who saved me, all those years ago."

He blushed and looked down at the floor. He shifted shyly from one foot to the other and slowly nodded.

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

Alex shrugged. "I didn't think you even remembered."

"How could I forget?" I said. "Alex, I've spent years thinking you were just a figment of my imagination and that I'd fallen, but didn't remember. Now I know why. Mrs. Basi kept telling me to forget what had happened. She was trying to keep you secret."

He nodded. "That was the day Father stopped letting me fly free. The day I first wore my chains." he rubbed the scars on his wrists. "Because he was afraid I take off and get seen again. I just wanted to help and he punished me for it."

"What about your mom?"

"She scolded me a little, but said I was very heroic to swoop in there and save you. Well, at thirteen, that's like someone saying you're Superman. I felt like I could do anything. Then Father bought the chains and, well... it all kind of went downhill from there."

"What happened?"

"Well, for one, I discovered I'm most definitely not Superman."

I laughed and he chuckled. Bandit barked, just to feel included. My sister's dog is weird.

"Skyler?"

I jumped, whirling. "Keersten! You're home early."

"Mr. Basi had an emergency at home and gave everyone the rest of the day off."

I stiffened, exchanging a glance with Alex. "Oh. Okay."

"Who's your friend?" she asked, smiling sweetly at Alex while she let her hair down from it's bun. It fell in soft blonde waves around her face. If you asked me to choose one word to describe my sister, I'd say "beautiful."

"This is Alex Matthews," I said. "Alex, this is my sister, Keersten."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Alex said, shaking her hand as she tried to keep Bandit from jumping all over her. He glanced from her to me and back again, probably wondering how we could be related. I even find it hard to believe at times. Mr, plain old Skyler, is related to the gorgious Keersten.

"And you," Keersten said politely. "It's almost dinner time and I'm hungry, what about you guys?"

"I'm starving," Alex agreed.

"Well, I'm going make spagetthi, how does that sound?"

"That sounds great."

"Why don't you join me in the kitchen, Alex?"

He smiled. "I think I'll stay with Sky. Thank you, though."

Keersten stiffened. She was not used to having a guy turn her down. Men were usually falling at her feet. "Okay," she said shortly before disappearing into the kitchen.

When she was gone, Alex reached over and twirled a lock of my hair around his finger. I blushed as he gently trailed his fingers around my face.

"You're eyes are so beautiful," he said softly. "Like melted chocolate."

I smiled shyly. "Thank you." This wasn't the first time he'd told me this, in the month since I'd met him.

I looked Alex over and suddenly I wasn't seeing Alex. I was seeing my father. I felt a lump form in my thoat and fought back tears.

"What's wrong?" he asked, hazel eyes filled with worry. "What did I say?" so sweet, he thought it was something he'd done!

"You look so much like him," I managed.

"Like who?" he whispered, cupping my face in his hands.

"My father."

Suddenly I was crying and I couldn't stop. Alex pulled me against him, wrapping me in his arms.

"Shhh, shhh, sweet," he murmured. "It's going to be okay."

I leaned against him, suddenly unable to hold back all the emotions I'd kept pent up over the three months since my father's death. I don't know how long I cried, but Alex held me the entire time, whispering in my ear until I finally calmed down.

"I'm sorry," I choked, wiping my eyes.

"Don't be sorry," he told me gently. "You needed to get that out."

"I probably look like a mess," I said. I ran a hand through my hair.

"I've seen you look better," he agreed.

I glared at him. "Thanks."

"I'm joking. You look beautiful, as always, mia donna di luce."

"What does that mean?"

"It's Italian. It means my lady of light."

I blushed.

                                                                   ...............................

I walked slowly through the cemetary, a bunch of red roses clutched in my hands. Roses were Dad's favorite flower. Alex followed close behind, trenchcoat swishing around his legs as he walked. I led him straight to my father's grave and knelt beside it.

"Hi, Dad," I said softly, laying the rose down. "I brought someone with me. This is Alex." I proceeded to tell Dad the events of the last month. Alex sat beside me and took off his coat. He stretched his wings.

"Are you okay?" Alex said when I stopped talking.

"It's time like this when I wish he was here again," I whispered.

Alex gently tipped my face toward him, so they were less than an inch apart. I found myself lost in his eyes.

Then he kissed me.

Pic is of Skyler's sister, Keersten. Song is "Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again" from "Phantom of the Opera". I just couldn't resist using it.