Then You Stand

"Yo, Mike, who's the chick?"

My head shot up. "Excuse me?"

Mike chuckled. "Skyler, this is my roommate, Clark. Clark, this is my big sister, Skyler, and her freidn, Alex.""I see," Clark said, wearing the same hungry look as Mr. Basi.

Alex let out a low growl, drawing Clark's attention to the gorgious, protective man at my side. His eyes widened and he swallowed hard.

"Don't you dare look at Skyler that way," Alex said in a low, cold voice.

"Alex," I said softly, placing my hand on his arm and turning his attention to me. "Deep breaths. There is no reason to get upset."

"Are you blind?" he hissed. "Are you forgetting already?"

"No, Alex," I'm not forgetting," I whispered, reaching up to touch his cheek. "Just try not to start a fight."

He hesitated, then nodded. I smiled. He was so handsome. I wanted to pull him close and kiss away his anger. Instead, I put my hand on his back, gently stroking his wings through his coat.

He glared at Clark, but gradually relaxed. He was most definitely going to need a back rub later.

Mike stared from me to Alex to Clark, eyes wide. "Well, I'm going to go make dinner. Clatk, why don't you come with me?"

He grabbed Clark's arm and dragged him into the kitchen. I waited until I was sure they were gone before leaning against Alex. He hesitantly put his arms around me.

"Do you not want to stay here?" I asked softly.

"No, not really, but it will do for now. I'm sleeping in your room tonight."

"Mike'll flip if you if you do."

"I'll sleep on the floor, across the doorway. If I tell him why, he'll let me."

I shrugged, letting my head rest on his chest.

"Skyler, I don't trust Clark. You saw the way he was looking at you. If he hurt you..." he trailed away, his eyes worried.

"If he ever tries, he's going to get the butt-kicking of the century."

Alex laughed. "Looks like I've caught myself a lioness."

"Lionesses are not easily caught, my handsome hunter, and this one is most definitely not caught yet."

He smiled. "I see."

I smiled back, gently brushing his hair out of his eyes. I studied him, taking in every feature. The sharp angles of his jaw, the glow of his eyes. He smiled, a mischevious, sexy smile that took my breath away.

Looking in Alex's eyes, I saw a kindred spirit. A fellow wanderer. Someone who'd suffered much and had persevered. Who stood up and dusted himself off no matter how many times life knocked him down.

I hesitantly weaved my fingers through his hair, resting my forehead against his. He closed his eyes as I gently brushed my lips against his.

Sudden'y, he pulled away, his hands slidding down my arms to intwine our fingers. I gazed up at him, hurt.

"I'm sorry, Skyler," he whispered, eyes sad. "Not now. Not yet. I'm sorry."

pic is Chris Pine a.k.a. Clark, Mik'e roommate. Song isStand by Rascal Flatts. tell me what you think!!!!!!!!