Chapter 2

Niall

"What the hell was that?!" Is the first thing Gabe blurts out seconds after the door closes. "What did he say to you back there? I saw you blushing from here." What? "Spill, Niall."

"Wait, what?" He raises his eyebrows at me and I take a breath. "Okay, um, I don't know who that creep is. He said his name's Robert and that he's here for 'business purposes', whatever that is." I say using air quotes. "He asked if I was new here, how would he know?"

"Never seen him around here before, I have no idea. Did he ask for your number and shit like that?"

"What, hell no. That was weird enough already. Let's talk about something else."

"Nialler-" Gabe groans but I cut him off.

"You're making a big deal out of nothing. He didn't say anything." He wiggles his eyebrows at me and I just roll my eyes at him, chuckling.

"Let's just wait and see then." From his seat Gabe raises his index finger to slightly poke the little dimple on the tip of my chin before Martha appears from the kitchen to say she's already leaving.

"Thank God it's over." I sigh looking at the clock on my cellphone screen as I get up to clean the almost intact place, leaving Gabe to close the blinds and doors before giving me a hand with the rest.

"Wait for me outside, I'll hand David the keys so we can go." I throw my coat over my shoulders and go outside as Gabe turns off the lights and heads to Mr. Broadwell's office- from where he hasn't stepped out once since he arrived here, earlier today. He must be going through some really tough times right now.

-

I wait. And wait and wait for Gabe but still he hasn't come out yet. For someone who went only give the keys he's taking an eternity. I turn around, walking up to one of the benches at the square and sit down facing the other side of the street. Most of the sky is already taken up by the darkness. Traces of orange on the horizon are now all that remains from the bright sunshine that shone over us just moments ago. The lampposts barely illuminate anything and I hate how there's close to no one outside right now.

"Niall! Let's go!" I'm startled as I hear Gabe calling me from afar and I jog up a bit to catch up with him.

"What took you so long?"

"David was feeling a bit down today, was trying to cheer him up a little. And..." He hands me a cup of hot chocolate. "I got you this." He finishes his sentence, taking a sip of his own cup.

"Thank, mate. What's the matter with David?" I ask, sipping on the hot liquid.

"It happens a lot ever since his wife, Daisy, passed away last year. He told me he's thinking about going to live with his daughter in LA." He explains and I hum quietly.

"Oh. I'm so sorry for him." I murmur, a familiar knot tightening inside my stomach at the thought of someone having to go through the same feeling of loss I'm already acquainted with.

"Shit." I look up at Gabe as he curses.

"What?" I question him, taking another sip of my chocolate.

"Mate, I know I told you I'd walk you home today but I forgot it's Wednesday. Thelma goes home earlier so I have to be there to take care of my grandpa. I'm sorry, man." He looks down at me apologetically and I roll my eyes.

"Gabe, I'm not six anymore. I can perfectly take care of myself just fine." He chuckles. "What's so funny?"

"Look at yourself, little Nialler." He pats my head. "You're as harmful as a baby penguin."