Two

There are only three moving parts to my life: home, school, and volunteering.

I've been volunteering with "Save Our Furry Friends", or S.O.F.F, since I could pretty much walk. It's a no-kill rescue shelter for animals in need, even those without fur, which was something I found out when meeting the resident snake during training.

The owner is Amanda Banks. She's my dad's best friend and she's been here through, well, everything with us. Me growing up, Dad's divorce, Grandma's death, all of it. While I wouldn't say she's raised me, she has shaped me quite a bit. And for that, I'm grateful.

When I walk inside the rundown, glass shop, Amanda, hearing the bell overhead and knowing I'd be in by now, hollers that she's in the backroom. In the back, I see she is teaching a boy around my age how to wash Roxy, our oldest and toughest German Shepard.

"Roxy likes to show she's in charge, so when you talk to her, be soft but also, firm."

Amanda scratches behind Roxy's ear and she graciously licks at her hand.

"She's mostly harmless."

"Mostly?!" The boy looks startled and Roxy senses that immediately, she stands tall and still, her tail down.

"She IS harmless." I cut in, walking over. Roxy lowers her guard when she sees me and gives a small greeting bark.

"Just don't act like you're ready to be harmed."

Amanda bellows her loud laugh and the boy, paling, rises to his feet.

"God, you can't find that sense of humor just anywhere." Amanda smiles, wiping a tear from her eye.

"Lilah, hon, this is Cole. He's interning here for the school year for his college application."

"Hi." Cole waves awkwardly, still glancing occasionally to Roxy who has taken to standing at my side. She pays him no mind, idly watching a fly buzz around the room.

"Hi." I give a half smile and turn to Amanda. "Any tasks take precedent over the regular?"

"Nope." Amanda shakes her head before grabbing Roxy's leash. "All good here. Cole is going to vet school and eventually would like to open his own practice so he'll be doing a lot of work with Casey. But until then, he works with you since you pretty much run the place for me."

She smiles and hooks the leash onto Roxy's collar. "I'll leave you to it. I have a city hall meeting to prep for on a zone we could really use."

Turning a waving, she takes Roxy before either of us can utter a word.

"How do you work with such a lack of direction?" Cole arches an eyebrow as he walks closer to me. Now that he's closer, I recognize him. We go to school together. Nothing notable or remarkable; in fact, we've never actually talked until this moment. Otherwise, just a face in the crowd.

"You just learn to sink or swim. And I'd rather swim." I shrug and fold my arms. "I'd get used to it; not just for working here but eventually, when you have your own clinic and you're the head vet, I'm pretty sure you won't always have anyone to guide you 24/7."

He shrugs. "Yeah. I guess I didn't think of that."

I give a small smile and make my way to my desk in the corner of the room. He sits in the chair across from me and looks around as if seeing the room for the first time.

I rummage through my desk for a task list; though I no longer need it, we have to give it to all new hires whether paid or not.