VIII. Together At Last

Chapter 8: Together At Last

~. . . .~

An Original Short Story By

TheBirdWhoCannotFly

~. . . .~

 ~Adrian's POV~

My parents had gone to the grocery store. Of course, they left me home alone. I wouldn't have wanted to go anyways. I haven't left my room much besides to go to the bathroom and school. I was the loner kid, again. It's been over two months. He still hasn't been found. I didn't realize I would miss him this much. Looking at our texts, I heard the door bell. Who could it be? My mom and dad would just walk in. We don't really talk to our neighbors so much. 

I climbed off of my bed and trekked down the stairs. It rang again. Once I reached the door, I opened it. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. It was Detective Nole.

"Detective? What're you doing here?" I was about to invite her in, but her large grin stopped me. It seemed she wanted to tell me something. "What's up?" I ask instead.

"You'll be very happy. Jamie and the other kids have been found!" I was speechless. My eyes went wide and tears welled. Did she just say... Jamie was found?! I was overcome with excitement. He's alive! Weight was lifted off of my shoulders. I almost broke down, crying of happiness.

"I need to see him!" I practically screamed. She drove me down to the station. Nole lead me to a little room with computers and what-not. There was a window in the middle of the room. On the other side sat a boy with raven black, long, curly hair. He sat at a metal table. From the way he looked, he couldn't see me. One-way mirror. His eyes were quite void. They looked to be once a bright blue, but were now very pale and discolored. His face was completely emotionless. A pair of lips under his nose were very chapped and a pale pink. Cuts and bruises peeked out from a sweatshirt, that said "FBI" on it, and looked new. 

My smile disappeared in an instant. Finally, it occurred to me that this very disturbed guy was Jamie. As if in a trance, I dragged my feet to the window. Tears streamed down my cheeks. I know I said I would never cry, but Jamie is worth my tears. He looked so broken. Not the happy, outgoing and sassy boy I knew. Who did this to him?!

Nole appeared to my side.

"He's been through more than you could ever imagine, Adrian." She looked sad as well. What the hell happened to him?! 

"Who did this to him?!" I tried to scream but my voice wasn't having it. It sounded more like a hushed yell. More tears, but I didn't wipe them away. She shook her head.

"We couldn't catch them. The kids were found in an abandoned hospital. We raided the place. Leon, Zach, Ryan or 'Rowan', and Jasmine were all in this room with a TV and couch. Jamie... well let's just be glad we found him in time. Kate? Killed herself." Nole shook her head again.

"Wha-Why did you find him at the right time?" I was scared of the answer.

"He was very close to becoming Kate. My team broke in right when he was about to kick the chair..." More tears. I was a wreck. Jamie tried killing himself? I made a small whimper and hid my face in my hands. How could he do that?! After the speech he gave me about the same thing?! I suppose his situation was completely different, but really?! 

"C-Can I see him?" I asked. She nodded and unlocked the door. What was I going to say? How was he going to react?

She walked in first, putting a hand up as if saying "give me a second". She started to speak to him as if he was a child.