Chapter Twenty

No one wanted to be awakened at time around 3 to 5 A.M. for no reason. Unless they were offered a massive amount of quids, then you are advised to stay away from them and their (flat) beds.

Clouds of dark bruised colour rolled above the gables. Familiar mist collided against the lamppost lights. The silent dawn emphasised a groan. 'Do you have to wake me up, Hughy?' The dimmed streetlights made his eyes shine a tad; his jet-black hair seemed soft but messy. Zack yawned loudly and closed his eyes again.

'Aw, Zack, come on.' Hughy's hints of auburn colour in his hair were no match with his ocean-blue eyes, but either way, he looked even beautiful without effort, tonight. 'We're Kyle's only hope.'

Kyle was scratching his chin when Hughy was close to Ian and Gabriella's bivouac. He wrapped himself with his arms. The cool wind was cooing against his skin, and sending chill to his spine. It was brisk, but was not invigorating enough, since they were all restless. Henry felt similar. He shuddered and crossed his arms right away. Soon, everyone was doing the same, except for Zack. He managed to have his mates letting him taking his blanket halfway to where he was stood.

'It's getting colder,' said Zack, 'let's just wake him up.'

'No,' Hughy protested.

'Don't you know the time?' said Kyle. He was shivering by now.

'But they are all sleeping. What's your purpose?'

'Why don't you slip into coma, Zack?' Henry palmed his face. 'Sleep,' said Hughy. 'I mean sleep.'

'Haha dot mp3, Hughy,' scorned Zack. He decided to join Henry in the bivouac and go back to sleep.

Kyle stood by the backdoor, waiting thirstily for Hughy to stop entertaining Zack. None of them had known that the house had an enormous hind. And it felt like a century to just cross the bivouacs (and pergola) before he could reach where he was now. 'Open!'

Hughy chuckled slightly. Kyle was really louder than he was. His order echoed everywhere even when he was cussing under his breath just now. The side of his palm had mistakenly banged on the wall when he turned around for Hughy. He almost fell.

'Calm down, Blondie. You're gonna wake them up.' Hughy smirked when Kyle grumbled about everyone else falling asleep so easily. He twisted the knob to see the tidy kitchen. 'Ah, well.'

Henry poked his head out one more time to gaze at his mates, and also for Edith and Jeremy's bivouac, and then lay down next to Zack who was already light-snoring. He rolled around a few times, but stopped when Zack dropped his hand on his head, locking his figure.

*

'Does he have any chocolate, ya think? Me mouth is salty!'

The knob was moving slightly. Kyle noticed this. His eyes followed its movement.

'Salty?' Hughy stopped intruding the fridge. He turned to Kyle, who was now chewing the chill air as he did his part with the larder. He frowned. 'Why salty? Did you — !'

The door moved again, it had captivated Kyle. He watched through the corner of his eyes, his heart pounding as Edith's face popped in between the wall and the door. Her eyes were already widened; her mouth gaped. She looked like one of those scary clown dolls.

'Edith, feckin' hell,' he sharply whispered. He sighed in relief, drawing Hughy's attention. Too bad he didn't get to see what Edith did. She drew things on the door with the tip of her forefinger. She stared at them through her lashes. 'Why aren't ya sleepin'?