Chapter Two

Chapter Two

Think, Doctor. What is the last thing you remember doing? The Doctor's brows furrowed. They had been on a deserted planet . . . And then what? He simply didn't remember.

"John, are you alright?" Rose's voice came from the doorway. The Doctor turned to her. What was going on? Where was he? If he was here, did Rose not remember their adventures?

"Where's the TARDIS?" he asked.

Rose furrowed her brows. "The what?"

The Doctor felt his single heart sink. "The TARDIS, Rose, where is it?"

"I don't know what you're talking about." She felt his forehead. "Are you sure you're feeling alright? Maybe you're still dreaming."

I wish, thought the Doctor. But he wasn't, he knew that.

Another thought struck him and he wheeled around to face her, hope flickering in his eyes. "Where's Jack?"

"I just woke him up," said Rose. "Why?" She looked at him curiously.

He managed a smile. "Just felt like seeing him."

Rose gave a small laugh. "Come on, then."

She led him to another room, this one decorated with toys and walls alternating between shades of blue and yellow.

In a fluffy bed flooded with blankets, a small boy slept. He was sprawled on the bed, his mouth open and asleep.

He had dirty blonde hair and a face structure that resembled the Doctor's, though it was too early to say if he would continue looking like him.

Rose smiled lightly up at the child and leaned her head on the Doctor's shoulder, causing him to start, but not enough to alert Rose. She wrapped an arm around his waist. "Blimey, where have all the years gone?" she asked softly.

The Doctor, hesitantly, put his arm around her shoulder. Rose continued talking. "It feels like just yesterday he was a tiny bundle in my hands. D'you remember? The way he would stop crying whenever you held him." She smiled at the memory and the Doctor felt himself smile slightly as well. What Rose described was a family, but not the sort he'd had on Gallifrey. Yes, he had loved them, but never as one ought to love their family. He'd loved them out of an obligation.

But this, this was a human family. A family filled with loving husbands and. caring wives and cheerful children. Was this what he wanted? If this was a dream, then was this where he saw himself with Rose?

Rose left his side and went over to her - to their - son.

"Jack," she said. shaking the boy gently. "Jack, sweetheart, wake up."

Oh, the Doctor thought, his hopes fading. This was Jack.

The boy grumbled a bit and tossed around before finally opening his eyes. His eyes were blue, like the Doctor's.

"Good morning," Rose said cheerfully.

"Morning," Jack muttered, rubbing his eyes. "Mornin' dad."

The Doctor didn't say anything, not realizing he was the one being spoken to. Rose looked at him pointedly. "Oh, uh," the Doctor stuttered, "yeah, good morning."

"Go brush your teeth, breakfast will be ready in a minute," Rose told Jack. Jack muttered assent and trotted off to the bathroom.

"What's gotten into you today?" asked Rose once Jack was out of earshot.

"What?" asked the Doctor.

"You've been actin' all . . . weird."

The Doctor groped for something to say. "My head hurts," he said, thinking it would be the most human thing to say.