Chapter 8

I stretch my arms out to my toes, wait for 15 painful seconds, and let go. I do the same with my other feet, and stand up and pull my arms over my head. Yes, I'm stretching. Even a cheerleader needs to keep her body in shape! Well, technically, a cheerleader needs to keep her body in shape, but you know what I mean.

The absolute truth is, when I woke up this morning, I didn't know what to do. I have no idea what the heck happened with Matt, I'm still sad about my dad leaving, and no one has returned my texts. No one!! Not Jenny, not any other cheerleader or friend at school, none. So I chose to stretch. Sure, it might sound really random, but I could do worse. Like go swimming in a pool full of sharks for example.

I sighed, looking over at the stream of water in front of me. The soft grass beneath me felt like a blanket, and the cool breeze coming from the direction of the water felt good on my skin because of the hot sun. But after a while, the breeze wasn't enough, and I was sweating like a pig. I frowned. I wasn't predicting going in to the water or doing any tree climbing, so I was wearing a pair of leggings and a tank top. Great for stretching, maybe, but not ideal for going in the water. Do you have any idea how much that fabric sticks?

I pondered on what to do. I regretted not wearing my swimsuit today. Finally, I shrugged off my top and slipped out of my already sticky leggings, and stepped in to the water. I don't like "skinny dipping" with my underwear, even if there's no one around. I shrieked slightly at the cold touch of the water, and slowly lowered myself into the water. Getting used to the thought of being in little clothing, and reassuring myself that it's not much different from being in a bikini countless times, I relaxed and laid down in the water. My braided hair got soaked in a matter of seconds, and the water licked my skin invitingly. The water felt so nice on such a hot day. I laid there like that, having the water cool me down as the sun glared down at me.

Suddenly, I heard a rustling sound. I sat up abruptly. The first thing I thought of was: bear. But then I thought about it. It can't be a bear, can it? It's probably a rabbit. A deer, at most. But wait, aren't deer's huge? I heard deers can be very dangerous at times. Especially if they have huge horn thingys on their head. Crap!! What am I going to do? Stay still? That's what you do around bears right? And dinosaurs? They said so in Jurassic Park! Okay, Romie, just. stay. still......... another rustling sound came from the bushes, and I clutched my legs close to myself in fear. I closed my eyes shut, hoping whatever comes out, it'll be a quick death for me.

Something stepped out, I could hear it. I closed my eyes even tighter, and clutched myself until my knuckles were probably white. I waited, and waited, and waited.... But nothing came. I risked a peek, and I opened one eye for a split second. When I saw what was there, I could feel relief float through me. I opened my eyes, and let go of the breath I hadn't realized I was holding.

"Holy shit, Matt, you scared the living day lights out of me!" I gasped, still shaking slightly from my near-death experience. Matt seemed really confused, and slightly embarrassed.

"Romie?" He asked, seeming taken aback.

"Yes! I'm Romie..." I said, not understanding the situation.

"I just went looking for you, but you weren't home, so...." He said, and I smiled.

"I was here. But I swear, Matt, I thought you were a deer that's gonna kill me." I said.  He laughed awkwardly.

"What?" I asked, and he glanced at me, and raised an eye brow.

"What?" I asked again, a little more demanding this time.

"Uhm..." he started.  He smirked slightly, and I had an awful feeling that I was doing something completely embarrassing.  He motioned slowly to my body, and confused, I looked down.