Chapter 2

I got up from my bed opened the blinds and turned to walk out my door. I would have left, except something caught my eye, a note pinned to my door. I ran towards it, that wasn’t there last night. I unpinned it and read it. “The time has come, you have dreamed, a long life is coming to an end. One as old as you shall know, that lives are hard to save. The once girl dying millions of times shall die once more by saying your name. A mystery wrapped in a mystery, word upon word be my witness. Meet me at the coffee shop in town at 10am, to finally know why the girl must die. Love The Traveller.” I looked up at the clock in my room it was 9.40am. It would take a twenty five minute walk to get to town. I had to run to have a chance. I changed and put my shoes on. ‘9.45am’ I ran out the house and started travelling to town. “Brad!” I turned around, Isabell was there looking at me with a smile. “Can’t talk now!”

I had to know; why The Traveller was the only other memory I had of my original life. I needed to know why Isabell had to die. Why we were stuck in this loop of the world resetting.

I was passing the park; I knew a shortcut that would kick of five minutes. I ran through the park almost falling, but I didn’t care. I felt the wind hit at my clothes trying to slow me down, but I didn’t lose speed. I got to the car park behind the park; now gravel was flying after every step. Now from the car park, I had to take a left onto Benjaman Rd. I ran onto a busy street almost getting hit; swear words being yelled at me. I could see the coffee shop in the distance. I looked at the giant town clock, 9.59am I had to pick up speed, the second hand was about to strike on the twelve.

I touched the coffee shop door and walked inside breathing heavily. I had made it, the clock banged to symbolise a new hour. I took a seat down at the far tables. After a few moments, the door swung open and a man ran in, he had brown hair, blue eyes and wore a trench coat. He looked towards me. “Brad!!” He took a seat in front of me.

I straight away recognized him from my dream, “Traveller?” “Yep that’s me, that road right there is where I first meet your mother. In fact I’m meeting her right now.” The Traveller pointed out the window. I was staring at another version of him talking to a teenage girl. “That’s when the world was being threatened by The Ancient Evil, but that’s not important.”  The Traveller was silent for a few moments, but then that silence faded.

“How long have you lived? How many lives have you had?” “I’ve lived so long and have lived millions of lives.” “Do you ever wonder why she has to die?” “Every day!” “Do you want to know why?” “Why?” “The simple fact is, it’s written in a book.” “What’s written in the book?” “Your destiny! A long time ago in the dawn of time the writer in the ancient library was writing all of history, everyone’s destiny. People were like chess pieces, but Father Time, didn’t like that one bit. He put the writer to an eternal sleep, so people could make their own choices. He still finished many books, some weren’t started but in a rare chance some books were left opened, unfinished. Just like yours, he got up to the last word on the last sentence of the last page.” “What was the sentence?” I asked. “Do you really want to know?” “Yes!” “Time and time again she dies; her lover left in despair, on the last of many lives, a choice will appear. The once girl dying millions of times shall die once more by saying your name, but whether she comes back to life will require a price, the price of one’s…” “The price of one’s what?!” “That’s how the sentence ends, I’m sorry as for the last word, that’s for you to find out.” “Who are you anyways?!”

The Traveller looked surprised and shocked. He put his elbow on the table and put his hand up. “Press your hand against mine!” “What?” “Don’t ask questions just do it!” I slowly pressed my hand against his, at first it felt a bit weird, but soon something started happening. Gold dust started appearing, around our hands “Brad ours eyes are exactly the same.” “What are you trying to say?” “When I said all of time revolves around us, I didn’t mean two individual people. There’s only one person that can control time like I do.” “Who is it?” “It’s you, I’m you but after you escape, we’re the same person, I’ve just lived this already.” “Then why can’t you tell me what happens to Isabell?!!” “I just can’t, as soon as I say what happens, this world, the whole world that you know all so well will break apart piece by piece. Memory by memory and fall into the pits of Taturus!” “Just tell me, do we get close to saving her?!” “The whole of existence gets torn apart! You destroy the universe trying to save her. As we speak the whole universe cries out in pain!” “Why?!” “Because you’re a traveller in a world that’s no longer yours, the universe cries out in pain because you’re not meant to be here. You’re not meant to exist, you and Isabell were meant to die, but somehow we were saved.” “You keep referring to us like we’re no longer human.” “Because you’re not!” “What are we then?” “Through my life I am mentioned in mythology as, Wizard, Helper, Traveller, Saviour but above all those names and all my other names, I am called a God of Time or Time God.” The Traveller took a deep breath.

“When we fell down the Time Vortex we became gods, gods of time. A god of time is never supposed to be in the presence of another god of time, those are just the rules. But your love, the love that you shared it connected you through all of time. You broke the universe and now the universe is crying. Imagine versions of you and Isabell scattered throughout all time on every Earth of every second. Imagine existing throughout the whole world and every version of you is slowly dying, the world’s way to exterminate you.” “Why is our love doing this?” “Because your love is stronger than any force in the world, there’s something about it that the universe can’t understand. Something I’m still trying to figure out.

The Traveller sat up from his seat he reached for his pocket and pulled out a note then handed it to me, “we’re out of time, remember she will die once more by saying your name.” Before I could say anything else, The Traveller had vanished, leaving me with more questions than I had before. I got up from my seat took the note and walked outside, I started Travelling home but then my name was called out.

I looked around, Isabell was there waving. “Hey” I smiled. I needed to get away from all this, just for now! I needed time to relax, to leisure. I needed to hide myself from the words of The Traveller.