Shane (Chapter 2)

How long can I possibly run for? A week? A month? A year? I'm all alone, what support can I get to survive? I'm going to die. Just face it Shane, you're going to die. They're going to kill you. You should have never gotten involved in that gang. I continued running, they'd just killed my parents before my eyes and I was forced to leave before they'd kill me. I have no clue where I am running right now. I don't even know where I am. Wait... a protection center! I ran inside and locked the door behind me as instructed. I run in and tell some guards what has happened , they send me to Quadrant 22 to sleep in. I walk over but I'm missing a blanket. I walk next door to Quadrant 21 and I see a young lady about my age with a young boy and girl. They're sleeping peacefully and I see their mother sewing a sweater for the boy. I shouldn't disturb them, I think . I decided to go to Quadrant 23 instead. I borrowed a large fluffy white blanket from a man who looked like he's in the army. I fell asleep easily tonight. I felt safe for once.

_______________

(Next morning)

 Ugh, so ... very... tired. Must get food though... hungryyyy. I forced myself up out of my slumber to satisfy my hunger pangs. I drudged next door to the smell of food. I hadn't really thought about how I was going to feed myself but all I know is that I am starving. I walked straight into Quadrant 21's tent to find a girl feeding her younger siblings some sort of meat. The girl looked at me in fright. "He- hello. Who are you?" She asked, before I had a chance to reply, her younger sister shouted out "We're not supposed to talk to strangers Ellana! Remember what mommy told us?" The girl, Ellana I'm asuming, nodded and stared at me for a  while. She still looked scared. I rubbed my eyes to take a better look at the family. Ellana looked like my age, 13 or 14 I'd guess. She had curly hair that was a rich looking brown. Her eyes were hazel and her skin was pale yet had a golden tint to it. She's either hispanic or white, I can't tell. Her sister had brown eyes with curly eye lashes, she as well had brown curly hair. Her brother has short hair, looked extremely tan, and he had brown eyes like his younger sister. The family looked so similar to each other, it was so adorable. Ellana kept grilling me as if I were a threat to her family. Where's her mother and father? I finally decided to brake the silence. "I'm, I'm Sha--- ugh... John. I'm sorry to scare you guys but I need food, I'm straving. My parents were killed last night... I just really need food." I hadn't really lied, my parents did die last night, I'm just not crying because... haha... they won't want to know. Besides, when I can trust them I'll tell them my name is really Shane.