Prologue

“Go on, beat it. Lousy fuckin’ brats…” their father mumbled under his breath. He was drunk again; Kelly and his brother Joseph could smell the whiskey on their father’s breath as he yelled at the both of them. Kelly placed his hand on his twin brother’s shoulder and nudged him toward the door. Though Kelly and Joseph were identical twins, Kelly took it upon his self to take charge for his brother, as he was the oldest, even if so by mere minutes. Joseph looked up to Kelly, and Kelly wasn’t one to disappoint. He loved his brother, and for his brother he would do anything. He’d always taken the brunt of the abuse. Wise for his age, his witticism rivaled that of others’.

“Come back when your fuckin’ mother comes home from work,” their father yelled at their faces as he slammed the green and very rusty trailer door in their faces. Kelly nudged Josephs shoulder as Joseph turned toward his older brother away from the trailer and toward the meek yard. Slight thunder sounded around them as heavy rain pelted them from above.

“What’re we going to do?” Joseph asked his older brother. He was young to worry about being put out of his own home; the pair we’re used to it, however.  “It’s pouring rain. We’re going to get soaking wet if we spend the day outside.”

“At least we won’t get beat,” Kelly murmured as he ushered his brother forward and into the rain. “A little rain never hurt nobody. Come on.” He said as he turned to survey their surroundings. It was always the same. The dying grass that was their yard only served to compliment the hell that was their home. The construction of the apartments beside the trailer wasn’t amiss, either. Kelly’s eyes took on a mischievous light as he surveyed the dead construction site before them. He turned toward his brother again.

“Let’s go play,” he said with a grin. His brother sat there a moment, as if lost in thought, before he grinned hesitantly and smiled, finally, as he caught on to his brother’s antics. He nodded enthusiastically.

“I betcha’ can’t catch me!” Joseph yelled to his brother as he took off toward the metal fence that surrounded the construction site. Joseph laughed as the mud his worn tennis shoes kicked up as he ran caked the bottoms of his faded jeans. Joy lit his features as Kelly laughed with his little brother and jumped from the porch, intent on chasing after him. 

The two boys ran and chased each other around the metal fence until they came to an opening. Clueless and curious, the boys ran toward the open area in the fence and ventured inside, walking leisurely toward the apartments that were nearly halfway finished. Piles of brick and solid concrete littered the ground, as well as broken pipes, plaster, and metal beams, some of which were balanced evenly on one another and hovering above them supported by wires and heavy machinery. The gravel where they walked was white, almost sludgy with mud and clumps of dirt or loose grass. Kelly turned in a small circle as he searched for his brother. They shouldn’t be here.

“Here,” his brother called as he motioned Kelly over toward where he stood. He grinned and cupped his hands as he bent low, motioning for Kelly to use his hands as a step. Joseph propelled his brother up and onto a large stack of bricks. Kelly then grabbed his brother’s hand to help him up soon after. They stood and surveyed their surroundings together. This was an adventure. Kelly turned to speak with his brother, but Joseph had once again disappeared. He furrowed his brow as he took a cautious step forward and into the haphazard apartments. Joseph’s laughter echoed throughout the newly constructed walls as Kelly maneuvered around the upright beams and machinery. As he climbed the concrete slopes, he feared he would slip. Kelly gripped the wall and gasped as thunder above them, losing his footing and falling backward. He barely managed as he righted himself and peered over the ledge. They were a feet away from the ground. He propelled himself forward and in the supposed direction of his brother.