THREE

Gage stared at the strange man in disbelief. He couldn't wrap his head around what the man had just told him. His eagerness was shot down in a matter of a sentence, like two planes in a dogfight. "I... I don't understand."
     "Detective. It's simple. You are the next to go. If you want to get through this, you are going to have to trust me and do everything as I say. Do you understand?" The strange man slightly lifted his head, his nose now visible.
     Gage became angry. "What the hell is this? I don't even know you! You don't really believe for one second that I actually thought you knew the secret to all of this?" Gage stood up and threw his cigarette onto the table. "A pattern? I should take you in for wasting my time."
     "You were very keen on what I had to tell you just a moment ago, Detective. At least, until after I told you who is next." The strange man stood up from the table as well, pulling his ball cap down tighter onto his face. "If you do not wish to work with me, and bring all of this to an end, I take my leave."
     The strange man swiftly, and without hesitation, walked out of the coffee shop. It was eery. As if the man had somewhere to be. And fast.
     "This is Gage. I'm done talking to the guy." Gage put his radio back into his belt. He couldn't help but pause for a moment to think. What if this guy was being honest? Does he truly know the pattern to all of these disappearances?

     Detective Gage pulled into his drive and shut his car off. The rain had finally let up significantly, slightly pattering the wind shield with it's dying breath. While getting out, Gage noticed something strange about his home. The curtains were slightly moving. As if someone had just peeked out his window at him.
"Who's there?" Gage hollered as he unholstered his gun. He checked his clip for rounds and then reinserted it back into his pistol. "Who's there?"
Gage went to go into his home, but to his surprise, the door was still locked. He quickly unlocked the door and cautiously entered. "I said, 'who's there?'." He pulled the hammer back on his weapon.
It's frightening. Right after having such a strange conversation with a man he doesn't even know. After being told that he is the next to be taken. Low and behold, something like this happens the same night.
"Is this it? Is it happening tonight?" Gage didn't know who he was talking to, but he wanted it to be clear that he knew he wasn't alone. "You can try."
As Detective Gage searched his home, he briefly but thoroughly checked every room he visited. He made two rounds throughout the entire house. Nothing.
Gage was unexpectedly startled by the ring of his phone. "Hello?"
A familiar voice horrified him with a calm, one-word reply. "Help."