Chapter 8

On the drive back to the hotel, I was met with oodles of questions from Kai and Elaine on why Trayce and I didn't kiss.

With every question and ridicule I grow more and more saddened knowing the true reason why we didn't kiss but I can't help but doubt myself.

Did he really just need to focus on baseball?

Is it because we didn't kiss on our first date?

Didn't he do well on his game after our date?

Did I do something wrong?

These unanswered questions continue to run through my head as I pull into the parking lot of the hotel.

I shut off the ignition and remain seated as Kai and Elaine obliviously hop out the car. I stare through the windshield in a daze like state unaware of Kai and Elaine coming to my side of the car and calling my name confused on why I'm still in the car.

I snap out of my trance when I feel my seatbelt being released from its hold on my torso. I look to my left unsure of what's going on until I see the hotel behind my two friends and let out a heavy sigh.

Elaine and Kai continue to look at me cautiously in silence as we walk into the hotel. Once we reach the dreaded elevator, Elaine breaks the silence by asking, "Calia are you okay?"

I look over at my worried friends and give them my best reassuring smile despite my inner war and disliking towards this very contraption. I push the button to our floor and say, "Yes I'm fine, I'm just...tired."

'Tired' also known as 'no I'm not okay I'm miserable but I don't want to burden you with my silly issues'.

As soon as the doors begin to reopen I squeeze my way through and head straight to our room leaving Kai and Elaine baffled yet again.

I rush into the bathroom and let out a large breath I didn't realize I was holding while I look in the mirror at my exhausted figure.

I actually really liked him...

I take a nice long shower and allow the hot water to unhinge the built up stress that lies within every muscle in my body.

After I wash my face and give myself a mini 'get your shit together talk' as soon as I exit the shower, I immediately feel better. I wrap a towel tightly around myself and step out of the bathroom closely followed by hot steam.

Kai is lying upside down on Elaine's bed beside a tired looking Elaine scrolling through something on her phone.

Tumblr or Instagram for sure.

I slip into my undergarments and pajamas before I grab my phone and hop into my inviting bed.

The screen showcases the time 9:36 pm so I remind myself to check my emails before I allow myself to doze off. While I'm deleting coupons and sale opportunities I know I won't need, a notification pops up telling me that I have a message from Trayce.

I freeze momentarily, unsure if it's actually real or not until I tap on the message app and see that I do in fact have a message from him.

Trayce:
Hey, I had a great time today, it was really cool learning more about you and your friends. Hopefully we can hangout again soon?

I have to reread the text before I can even begin to think of how to respond.

I guess he doesn't want to talk about the unexpected friend zone...fine with me.

Calia:
Yeah I had a great time as well, I have to spend a few days with just the girls before we head back home but we can try and see if it's possible to get together before I leave.