Brooklyn, New York. 1929

I watched him come in everyday.

​​​​​​With the same old frumpled up clothing that would be nothing compared to mine. Though I honestly didn't care one bit. My eyes would always be on his ruffled golden blonde hair that could catch anyone's eye. It was quite messy but I liked it like that. Just like every other part of him.

But what really caught my attention were his eyes. Oh they're such a brilliant Crystal blue. Much more beautiful than my full brown ones. Shinier than my Mother's diamond ring albeit. It was impossible to not stare. Despite it being a against my good manners.

A few times he almost caught me staring. I'd always have to look away real quick before he caught on. My heart would always race like a stable horse very time he'd come near, or even give me the slightest glance. My palms would get sweaty, which I was told was very unladylike. But I didn't give the slightest care about it.

Sometimes I'd catch his friend, James Barnes, (everyone else calls him Bucky) whispering while looking in my direction. It would always scare the living daylights out of me!

Now I never took an interest in Bucky, he was cute- sure. But I preferred boys like Steve Rodgers.

Oh what am I talking about! If Mother heard me speaking like this she'd scold me. I'm only nine years old. Besides, not like I'd ever have a chance with someone like him anyway.

If only...

- · -

My feet swung back in forth in a quick motion as I sat on the park bench. A few other groups of children were near me, but they were small. I was waiting after school for my Mother and Father to pick me up form school. I'm guessing they were running late again from a meeting.

I sighed boreldy, tugging on my bright red hair. I hated it really, many thought it was exotic and pretty but my opinion was different. It casted much attention in me and I disliked that.

The sun was beginning to set and I was beginning to worry. But just as I did the Cadillac pulled up.

"Mommy, Daddy!" I cried out, I hopped up from my seat and racing towards the car. My Mother stepped out of the car, engulfing me in a hug.
​​​
I stayed in her arms for a few moments before saying, "What took so long?" My voice was muffled in her skirts. I looked up at her big blue eyes. They reminded me of Steve's, except more of a hazel color. Her finger hair was rolled up in curls at her shoulder looking voluminous.
​​​​​
"We lost track of time at work. Your Father discovered something absolutely amazing darling. Here, let's get in the car. We don't want your Father waiting." She replied sweetly, a large white grin plastered on her face. I nodded and opened up the side door, sliding myself in.

I took my bag off my shoulder and laid it across the seats next to Delilah's car seat. Before I knew it we were up and running. Mother talked to Father, chattering happily. They obviously had a good day at work since Father was smiling.

"Oh have you heard, Mary's daughter is getting married!" Mother said spontaneously, catching my attention. I remember Connie, she used to babysit me. She had wonderful blue eyes and light blonde hair. A sight for sore eyes, really.

"Which one?" He replied.

"Connie! Oh it seems like yesterday she was just Scarlett's age. Oh dear, it just reminds me of how fast she's growing up. I wonder when she'll have her first crush." Mother swooned, a living look on her face.

Suddenly she looked back towards me, "Do you have a crush, dear?"

"W-What?" I stuttered, not knowing what to say. I turned around so I wouldn't have to face her eye to eye. From my reflection in the mirror I could see my cheeks were as red as my hair!

"Aw, Scarlett's got herself a crush. Oh my baby is growing up. Who is he, what's his name?" Mother was acting like all the girls in my class! Giggling about the boys across the room. I never really took part of it, I liked to keep my crush to myself. Last time someone said something another girl told her crush and she was rejected. So sad.

"I-I, Uhm well his name is St-" I was cut off when the car swerved to the left side of the road violently. My head hit the cushions of the seat harshly, causing me to blank out for a moment.

"L-Lincoln!" Mother cried out, grabbing onto the dashboard. You could barely hear over the screeching of tires.

​​​​​​"I can't stop it!" Father yelled in a frustrated manner. "Someone is-" Mother screamed as a bullet went through his head. Blood drizzled out and he went limp. She continued to scream as the car went flying down the street, headed into a building.

Suddnely she stopped. Turning towards me, her eyes were laced with fear. She tried to keep herself steady as she reached out to me, opening her hand. A golden locket lay within it.

"I love you." She whispered, believing a kiss.

I couldn't decipher what was happening until everything went black.