Chapter 1

I need to get out of here...

That's all that ever goes through my mind anymore. In the tiny town of Canacope there's not much to do to keep your mind off things.

It's the same families that have been here for hundreds of years, the same shops, parks, schools, everything is the same and I long to see something new.

I've seen everyone of these faces age, I see their slight aging year by year until there free. Free from this hellhole.

I want to see a face that I don't know, to not know someone's name and whole family story.

Because behind every one of these cheery smiles and friendly gestures is something dark, and dangerous. Always lingering at the edge of your mind, never fully going away. Haunting you while your conscious and unconscious.

As my feet scuffle against the cracked cement, a bird swoops down before soaring into the sky, flying far away from here.

I envy that bird, being able to take itself anywhere it wants to go without a care in the world.

The screeching bell snaps me out of my constant daydreaming state. My feet had subconsciously brought me here having traveled the same path for so long.

Everyone has already scampered off to their classes.

Well here we go 8 hours of hell....school, I meant school.

----------------------------------------------

All my classes are the worst, I've fallen asleep in every single one at least twice. Actually now that I think about it, it's probably a little more than twice, actually a lot more than twice.

I have probably a total of 3 friends in this entire town, but that's not including my big brother and father, we lost my mother for reasons I'd really not like to think about.

"Ms. Harley Stillson, I would much appreciate it if you'd listen to my lesson" screeches Mrs. Telstra, my history teacher. And when I say screech I mean screech, that lady sounds like a screaming ostrich.

"Yes of course Mrs. Telstra" I replied monotonously. I've had this happen so many times I know exactly what they want to here to get them off my back.

Mrs. Telstra turns back to her droning on and on about some civil war stuff I'll never use later in life.

5 minutes left...

How do I go through this everyday? And it's only first period! Oh my goodness I am so ready for graduation day!

I still have like 7 hours of boringness in this hell.... School I meant school, what am I saying of course I meant hell.

3 minutes 45 seconds...

3 minutes 44 seconds...

3 minutes 43 seconds...

3 minutes 42 seconds...

A spit ball is thrown at the nerd in the front row. Everyone laughs. Mrs.Telstra gives a warning glare then continues.

2 minutes 3 seconds...

2 minutes 2 seconds...

2 minutes 1 second...

More spit balls. More glares, getting darker with each one. More routine laughs to make it seem like we're actually capable of forgetting.

34 seconds...

33 seconds...

32 seconds...

31 seconds...

A hand is raised by a kid in the front.

"Do we have any homework?"

A chorus of groans is set off before the sentence finishes. By the look of Mrs. Telstra's wicked smirk, there would be now.

"Why thank you for reminding me." That was all the got out reaching for some papers before the bell rang, freeing us. Everyone scrambled out, not wanting the extra work.

Our teacher didn't try to get us to come back, it would have been a lost cause.

The hallway was a swirl of faces and colors. The big blob just blurred together as I rushed to my next class. A group of people who know all the dirty secrets you try to keep locked away. Because no matter what you do, there's always going to be a witness in this town.

* * *

The rest of my classes seemed to merge together with me in my half asleep state. Dragging myself from one destination to another. I had met up with my friends at lunch. We made small talk, more pressing matters couldn't be discussed with so many listening ears.

The day ended quickly enough. But with school it never seems to be quick enough.

Lost in my daydreams of escaping, I trip on the uneven sidewalk. Almost falling on my face but reactions quick enough to catch myself. Looking at my surroundings I notice the crumbling city around me.

The brick shops falling apart, crumbling. Our tiny town was tumbling, and there was no rescue in sight. Our purpose was not being fulfilled. But soon all that would change. Not that I'd be around to watch.

Reaching my ancient house, filled with nothing but broken memories and a soul too lost in sorrow to come out, I opened the door and entered. My brother gone, probably because he can't stand to feel the emptiness, and my father lost in his work ignoring anything and everything that reminded him of her.

I pretty much had the house to myself, which might be every teenagers dream, but it was my nightmare. Hurrying to get something in my stomach, I scarfed down whatever I could find and made my way to bed. Dreaming was my only escape, no matter how much I hoped I knew I wouldn't escape. He wouldn't let me, especially not after what happened last time. So with that, I fell into a sleep that was filled with all the places I could go and explore.

It was a beautiful nightmare.

A/N: I'm restarting this. It's so bad that I can't even look at it without wanting to cry at the suckyness.