A Burglar, Indeed.

Thorin watched the little hobbit as he slept, on his back, face turned up at the sky. He watched the burglar's chest rise and fall with each silent breath. 

The hobbit was an interesting one, with his books and his armchair. He was a strange one, with his garden, and his meals, and especially his home. 

Thorin wished he had a home he was that attached to. Perhaps he would soon have one-- the mountain. He hoped he could love it the way Bilbo loved his hobbit-hole-- with content and virtuous pride. As king under the mountain, Thorin would be strong enough to resist the powerful temptation of gold, and his love for his home would be pure and true, and not based on the immense fortune towering in the vast chambers. 

He turned his attention back to the sleeping hobbit. Bilbo was cute, that was for sure, with his gentle face, a bit worn from the journey. And his hair, curling around his forehead and ears. And of course, his--

Bilbo opened his eyes, and blinked a few times. He sat, and saw Thorin's admiring stare. "Thorin?"

The dwarf cleared his throat quickly and shifted his gaze to the side, and a wave of embarrassment which he would never admit came over him.

"Thorin?" Bilbo repeated, tilting his head and leaning slightly to the side, as if trying to catch the gaze of his companion. "Ah- were you--" Thorin looked back at the hobbit. That confused expression on his face was too adorable. "W-were you..." Bilbo blinked and his eyes flicked down, "watching me?"

Thorin gave no response. The eyes of the hobbit and the dwarf met, and were locked in a  stare for what felt like an eternity. Bilbo's curious hazel eyes were transfixed on Thorin's sad blue ones. Neither of them were willing to break the spell.

The dwarf king thought back to their first meeting. The hobbit had been offended when called a burglar, and had claimed to never have stolen anything. But Bilbo could not have been more wrong. Thorin saw it now, and he had seen it before, but he didn't dare say a thing. The little hobbit had stolen Thorin's heart. Bilbo Baggins was a burglar, indeed.