The Noise

On the night of her birthday, Eva wore a beautiful blue dress that she brought with her best friend Claire. It was her boyfriend Daniel's favourite colour.

Eva and Daniel planned to meet at Eva's house. On hearing the door bell, Eva walked down the stairs and opened the front door. She found an envelope from a girl named Wendy.

She took the envelope inside and sat on her couch. She found some photographs inside.

Two days later...

'Hey, how are you holding up?' Claire asked Eva.

'I'm fine,' Eva said looking away.

'He is going to be fine, Eva. He must be drunk and asleep somewhere,' Claire muttered.

'Yeah, I know. He has done it before. His battery must have died.'

'Do you remember when you, me and Daniel were stuck in that stupid lift at the mall,' Claire said trying to cheer up Eva. 'He was so scared. We were stuck inside for like five minutes and he thought the lift is going to fall. He even cried a little.'

Eva scoffed, 'He is claustrophobic. You know that. Don't make fun of him.'

'I know. I'm sorry,' Claire checked the time on her mobile. 'I have to go now. I have an important meeting. See you tomorrow.'

They both went to the door, when a loud thump came from somewhere.

'What is that?' Claire turned and asked.

'Nothing. Mrs Robin's cat.'

'Oh,' Claire said. 'Call me, if you find out anything.'

Eva shut the door. She heard the noise again coming from upstairs and went up to her room. She bent down and whispered at a big box lying under her bed.

'Stop making noise. You know I won't let you out. I hope you are enjoying inside, Daniel.' She smiled.

Two days earlier...

Eva saw Daniel posing with his assistant, Wendy in the photographs. In one photo he was kissing her and in others, they were hugging and holding each other.

Eva was devastated. She never thought that Daniel could ever cheat on her. They were getting married in a month and he was cheating on her with his assistant.

When Daniel came home, she confronted him and asked for an explanation for which he just said. 'Sorry.'

The thumping stopped after four days.