exordium | muidroxe

It was your typical story...

Don't we always begin with that?

Living inside a quaint and tiny residence were a girl and her parents. It gave off no distinctive appearance or eye-catching aspects-it was an ordinary house, after all.

A house like any other.

That's what it was, wasn't it?

The little girl, despite seeing kids her age play outside every day, prefers the company of books rather than spending time outdoors. She does the household chores by herself as well due to her parents arriving by the time she sleeps.

Perhaps she's still waiting for her parents.

Maybe they can praise her for being a good girl.

Her mother and father are always off to work and come back late at night. Whenever they get home, they would barely notice her presence out of sheer exhaustion. More often than not, they would go straight to their room without a word. However, there are times they do, and simple phrases like "How's everything going?" and "Was my daughter waiting for me?" were already one of her precious moments of her life.

She starts telling them what she's learned that day.

Did it really matter to them, though?

She understands that they lack the time for her; they were busy, and she knows they do it for her own sake so she doesn't mind this. She swears she wouldn't. She loves her mother and father more than anyone else and she was thankful for everything she has.

But lately, they don't seem to get along.

Mother and father are starting to fight more...

One night, the girl had woken up to the loud shouts outside her room. She leaned on a wall, pressing her ear to listen to the two familiar voices. Of course, it was her parents', and none of them seem to be backing down in the heated argument.

"You always go home drunk! What time do you think it is?!"
"Huh?! You're no different from me, you damn bitch!"
"Don't you dare call me that! I work more than you do!"
"Well, I didn't ask you to! I'm fine working by myself!"
"You mean spending your night on someone else's house? I don't think so!"

The girl didn't get why her mother was mad. Was it because he didn't ask for permission to sleep on a friend's place? No matter how she looks at it, her mother just seems to be making a big deal out of it. 'Whatever,' she thinks. 'It's just another adults' talk anyway!'

And so she goes back to sleep...

... thinking that nothing will go wrong with a small fight.

"What a foolish little girl."

The next few days, she could seldom see her father go back to their house. If she does, she'd see him in a messy state-drunk and grumpy when she tries to talk to him. Her mother comes home normally as usual, but all she does now is to form a small smile, albeit a sad one, as the girl greets her happily.

Slowly...

... her family was starting to fall apart.

She didn't remember how many painful months have passed; it's as if everything happened all at once. One day, her mother decided to leave the house and hasn't returned up to this day. Now that she thought of it, her mother's clothes disappeared afterwards and only did she realize that she might have taken it along with her. 'Strange... is mom going on a long trip that she had to bring all of them?' she wonders. It was difficult having to clean up after her dad's mess every time. She admits that it was nice seeing him go home earlier now, but he doesn't even bother to throw out the bottles he drinks at night! She looks out of the window and hopes that her mother would come home already.