Chapter 2 - If it's Alright With You...

A/N: hey readers! I came back with the next chapter since a lot of people wanted it (and since I finally regained motivation). It's been about a year or so since I wrote the first part. I've acquired many new skills in writing, so I hope you  enjoy this new part much more than the others. By the way, Master Herbert is totally Dumbledore lol

____________________________________

Magnolia.

The one place Jellal never thought he would return to.

Fairy Tail.. is here in this town. He thought, resolute feelings welling up inside.

He still wore his trademark cloak; though now, the Crime Sorciere mark was removed. It was great that he was able to act freely, but what if people recognized him? No one said anything about that. Even Master Herbert did not mention it. But then it just occurred to him.

Mest!

Immediately recalling Mest, Jellal recalled that the former council inspector could use memory manipulation magic, especially on large numbers of individuals.

Jellal was just outside of Magnolia; the town was so bright and full of life, even during the darkest hours of the cold night. At once, interrupting his thoughts, something whizzed past him, causing a slight breeze to tickle his ears. He felt a slight shiver, and shuddered for a moment, not realizing that his guard was down. He braced himself.

But of course, it was only Mest himself.

Speak of the devil! The heavenly body magic mage thought, relief warming him up as the night breeze slowed and the trees settled down. He took a deep breath, as his mind ran rampant with questions suddenly about how Mest knew exactly where he would be. But just as the questions started buzzing around in his mind, they flew away, as Jellal's dark eyes widened with realization.

"Mest, did you..?" He trailed off, as Mest interrupted the question with a proper explanation.

Mest had returned to the council after the war against Acnologia. He had killed Augustus, the so called greatest wizard of the time thanks to Brandish, a loyal warrior of the Alvarez Empire. The brown haired mage felt the need to atone for the murder, so he turned himself in; but to his surprise, the newly reformed council allowed him to work alongside them, since their policy was no longer punishing criminals. It was saving them. Mest was then reinstated to his former position in the council, but was assigned more dangerous jobs than ever before, almost like those meant for mages.

After his explanation, he continued Jellal's question, following it with his answer.

"Did I erase the memories of you from all the citizens in the town? Yes. I left the guild alone, however," He finished, not blinking or hesitating a little bit.

What resolve... to go through that just for Crime Sorciere? Thought Jellal.

"What power; that must have taken a toll on you. Then.. that means I don't need to conceal my presence?" Jellal inquired.

"No worries, Wendy ran into me quite a few times and helped me out. Answering your question, yes. I have also cleared their memories of the Oración Seis... as well as Meredy." Mest informed, reluctant to stay any longer as he whirled around, taking a step away from Magnolia. But the teleportation mage paused as Jellal's words stopped him from teleporting away.

"Fairy Tail... do you ever visit them?" Jellal asked, regretting the question as soon as it left his mouth, realizing that was a hypocritical thing of him to ask.

Mest turned back around, facing the blue haired mage. He looked at the ground, expecting Jellal to know the answer as to why he could not visit the guild. Just as Jellal was not able to visit Erza whenever he liked, Mest was in the same situation, mentally, and thus could not visit the guild freely. The brown haired mage's eyes were full of sorrow as he stared solemnly straight into Jellal's eyes. The wind picked up, tossing Mest's bangs aside and revealing his scarred features. He knew that he was a reflection of Jellal's former self. But the Jellal now was no longer that same Jellal from before.