VII.

After the van had dropped me off and Ian promised that he would call later, I entered my house and pressed my back against the front door and slowly slid to the floor with a smile on my face, completely unaware that my dad was sitting in the living room couch. I only found out when he cleared his throat, "How was the shoot?"

I stood up and sat down on the chair across from him. "It was great, Daddy. It was such an amazing experience. Can you believe that a month from now, you're gonna see my face in a magazine?! It's so unbelievable." I laid my head back and stared at the ceiling. This doesn't feel real. It's like a dream. A dream that I'm living in. A dream where I don't ever want to wake up.

"Your mom would have been so proud of you." Daddy grins. "Congratulations, sweetie. I'm so proud of you. A month from now, I get to show off to everyone at work how my daughter is in a magazine!"

I chuckle. "Thanks, dad."

He smiles and clears his throat again. "So, is there a fella you've been seeing?"

Thankfully, I wasn't drinking anything, for if I was, I would've done a spit take and had to clean it up. "No one says f-fella anymore, dad."

"Don't try to change the subject." He crosses his arms, eyes seeing right through my little act. "So, who is the lucky lad?"

"How do you even know that there's a fella, Dad?" I cross my own arms and put my poker face on.

Daddy smiles a genuine smile. "Because I had the same look on your face when I first met your mom."

I could hear his voice growing warmer when he said that. "It's Ian, dad."

"The judge at the exhibit? The photographer fella?"

I laugh. "You sound like you came from the 17th century." When I've calmed down, I nod and say, "Yes."

"Well, when do I get to meet the guy?" Daddy asks.

"Soon, dad. We're not official yet, but we're going on our first date this Saturday."

"Promise me one thing, Iris."

"What?"

"Take it slow. Don't rush into things. You're too young to be in a serious relationship." Daddy warns.

"Okay, dad. I promise." I stand up and peck him on the cheek. "I'm going to bed now. Goodnight."

"And don't you stay up texting that boy all night, understand?"

"Goodnight daddy!" I chirp as I go upstairs.

-
In my room, I throw myself across my bed with a contented sigh. I change into pajamas and tell Dakota everything. She squeals at the part where both boys grab my wrist and when Ian asked me out. After agreeing to help me pick out an outfit on Saturday, we hang up. I lie in bed, staring at the ceiling, waiting for Ian to call. The clock reads 9:30pm. Why hasn't he called? Just as I was about to fall asleep, my phone rings. In one quick movement, I sit up and grab my phone from the bedside table. It's Ian!

I clear my throat a few times before answering. "Hello?"

"Hey." His voice was soft, almost a whisper.