Twelve

"Why am I always last?"

I look up to see a kid in a Robin costume. His mask is pulled off, rolled into a tube shape in his right hand, and he has messy black makeup in lopsided circles around his eyes. I recognized his voice from the phone call that shook me, but upon seeing him I remember him from before.

Those socialite parties Bruce dragged me into were a complete disaster, until I realized I was not alone. There were other kids, from other rich parents, that I could play on a game system with. Most notably was Timothy Drake, son of the late Janet Drake and the semi-drunken Jack Drake.

He and I were close before I died. Actually, I considered him my best friend outside of the superhero world. We were highly close. He even guessed once that Bruce was Batman, and my not denying it must have been proof enough for him.

The messy dots have connected. After I died, he came to Bruce and knew. It must have been my fault. And then he became Robin, probably because Bruce needed someone, like Damian reminded me of back in India. So Tim Drake is Robin, I can live with that.

And apparently his "idolizing" me, as Dick put it, was just my old friend trying to talk about me without letting the former Robin know our past. One of my problems down, too many more to go.

"You're last 'cause you're littlest. Get over yourself."

"I don't find that fair, and you know that."

I nod to the kid. The age gap between us seems so wide now, as he still looks ten, or maybe eleven, like the last time I saw him. Now I have a white streak racing through my hair and a tired body from too much travel. We are, in all actuality, less than three years apart, but we look more like a young adult and a tween.

He nods back, mouthing "later," and I know he wants to settle things. I let it drop for now. Donna notices nothing, still chattering about her list of Gotham's protectors and its order. I allow them to converse over what is really fair in the listing of names and how perhaps age doesn't truly matter. I finish my small snack and slip off to find Dick and Damian. It's not too terribly hard.

Damian is on Dick's lap, already comfortable with his older "brother." Wally, Raven, Speedy, and Superboy are talking with them. They're reviewing a plan, which I note as I draw closer. Raven is saying, "All you've gotta do is get on that flight, Wing. It's already secure with who the passengers are in first class. Besides, you will be in your civilian identities. I'm sure you could persuade them to do an extra check for you."

"That's true. And the backup..." Dick says. Damian climbs down from his spot to me, where I lift him off the ground gently. Speedy responds to my elder, "Will be waiting. You should get going right around now, guys."

"Yeah, you're right. Kon, if you would please go find my Robin for me, thank you. And Speedy, if you would make that call to your boss before we leave, it would be highly appreciated. I would just love knowing they know we're coming."

The two heroes head off, and Raven departs on her own. Kid whispers something to Nightwing and the older man replies in an equally soft tone. I wait patiently until the speedster leaves, and then I walk over to the man, still holding Damian on my hip. "So what're we doing? Plane with nice security and then going to visit GA is what I'm picking up."

"You're right," he says, ruffling Damian's hair. The kid smiles a little. "We're headed to Star City with one transfer, which is in Kansas City, since both of Metropolis's stars are at home base for the next few days. They can bail us out if anything happens on the trip. That's our backup."

Tim arrives. His mask is back on and he has a small bag in one hand and an overstuffed duffel in the other. He hands the former to Dick and lifts the latter on his shoulder. I sigh, hand Damian to Dick, and take the heavy bag. "You're gonna hurt yourself, little bird."

He smiles. "You remember that?"

"I remember everything."

"I'm confused." That would be Dick.

"We used to be friends," I explain quickly. "Used to hang at socialite parties and all that junk."

"What's a so-she-uh-light party?" Damian this time.

"Where they dress kids up in tight suits and expect us to behave. Ha." Tim laughs in a sarcastic, fake way. I nod. "True story, little D. As soon as we get you to Gotham I'm positive someone will make you go. Probably gonna be me."