-1-

- REUNITED WITH THE SISTER -

The bus halted before Zandria's apartment building. Tires screeching as it came to a very dreadful stop. I grabbed my silver luggage bag and walked to the front of the bus.

I smiled to the driver and waited for her to open the doors. I looked down to my brown boots, they're perfect for the snowy-weather.

The doors swung open and I drew in a deep breath. As I got out of the bus, I took in the sight of the little artificial neighbourhood.

Beige buildings stood in accurate rows next to one another. I sighed and started towards the entrance.

"Good afternoon, Miss," the receptionist greeted cheeringly. "Are you here to check in, rent or visit?"

"Uh, room one-one-seven, I'm moving in with my roommate," I replied while shifting my weight from my left to right foot.

"Just a second," she said. Her long finger zoned in on some numbers on a dial pad and a soft buzz followed.

"Yeah?"

"You have a female visitor, Miss Dumas, her name is . . ."

She looked to me with an expression I couldn't quite comprehend. She . . . was waiting for something.

Silence.

"What's her name?" Zandria's voice was fuzzy over the intercom."

I gasped softly, "Ruby Dumas." I talked quickly, blushing afterwards.

"Ohmigod," she squeaked, "send her up! Julia, give her a key-card and a backup. She's the new bitch in the block!"

The receptionist--Julia--shook her head while smiling wide, "Alright." She placed the strands of her Onyx Black hair behind her ears and gave me the necessary items.

I thanked her quickly then charged to the elevator. My heart was drumming in my chest.

I was going to see my sister for the first time in seven months. Zandria decided that it would be awesome if she left the country and not say shit about it.

Ting.

The elevator opened, grey doors standing next to each other with even spacing. I walked down the hallway and counted down each door number until I saw the holy one.

117.

I braced myself. A lot changed in the past seven months. I was not that pale girl with the platinum blonde hair; the one with no trace of life on her.

I changed in a . . . positive-ish way. My hair was cut down to sit right under my jaw, I had a few black highlights in. I looked down to my arm, the new sleeve tattoo I got decking my skin beautifully.

I knocked then moved to the side, avoiding the peephole. I wanted Zandria to see the new me in person, not through a hole in some door.

It opened, Zandria stood in the entrance. She was on her phone, then she looked up. Her smile faltered. "Oh," she said half disappointed, "How can I help?"

What.

"Zanie," I said laughingly, "It's me, Ruby."

Her eyes widened in realization, "Ohmyshit! Ruby, I didn't recognize you."
She grabbed my arm and stared at the ink in complete awe. "What is this? Mom is going to birth a cactus if she sees this."

I yanked my arm back and gave her a hug. She still looked the same, soft blue eyes with the same platinum hair I once possessed.

"You're back," I breathed once I pulled away. "You look . . . good."