Day 1 - Chapter 1

"Henry what the fuck is happening?! Where the hell are you?!"

And, not for the first time in his life, Henry wondered what he had done wrong now. "What have I done wrong now?" he asked. The direct approach, smooth. His voice had been trembling slightly as he'd spoke the question on his mind. He hated being shouted at.

There was a long pause. Had she heard him? He braced himself for more loud words. Then, "What the hell do you mean?! Haven't you looked outside recently?!"

To be fair to himself, he hadn't looked outside recently. He had been asleep in bed with a fever all day, awakening only when his girlfriend called him on his cell. It had been a nice dream as well although he could remember screaming.

What's going on outside?

He brushed sleep from his eyes while at the same time scrambling from bed. What was so important to see outside that she had to call him to tell him about it? With profanity and a raised voice nonetheless.

"What's going on outside?" He asked, praying that he sounded more awake than he actually was. He didn't need two shattered eardrums. "Some kind of festival?"

Surely it was something of a much grander scale than that. He'd be more than disappointed if he looked outside only to see a swarm if rainbow clothed individuals marching up and down his street. An alien invasion perhaps? The end of the world? That would be a pleasant surprise.

He stumbled over to his window and yanked it open with his free hand, grunting slightly. He stuck his head out...to see absolutely nothing out of the ordinary. Was this some kind of prank?

"Henry?!" His girlfriend was saying, her tone more urgent than angry.

"Yeah I'm here babe, now just what exactly am I supposed to be looking at?" He was gazing around and other than a few knocked over wheelie bins, he couldn't spot anything unusual.

"Nope," he confirmed, "can't see anything strange."

"Henry...The sky..."

He frowned, looked up...

His phone dropped out of his hand. "FUCK!!!" He shouted, half because of dropping his phone. Half because of, "WHAT THE FUCK ARE THOSE CRACKS DOING IN THE SKY?!!!"

Profanity...

Was he losing his f***-ING mind? Much better...He couldn't remember taking any illegal substances that week. But then again it was such a habit that he didn't remember when he didn't take them.

What he did know what that he had to find his girlfriend as soon as possible, regardless of how loud she might shout at him. That way they could be in the shit together.