Part one

The air smelled of old gym socks and cheap cologne; somewhat pleasing and yet left a jarring feeling in my stomach. Bellmark High School wasn't exactly the greatest place in town but it certainly wasn't the worst. The windows didn't have bars, at least. So that was something.
I swung my backpack over my right shoulder and slammed my locker shut, the cold of the metal chilled against my skin. I licked my lips and groaned, looking around at the other high schoolers giggling and strolling along the halls. I didn't exactly consider myself an outsider, but I wasn't much liked either. To put if frankly, I wasn't a friendly person. I kept to myself. I didn't need the kind of baggage that comes along with liking people. It's just pointless and leaves you with nothing.
As I made my way to my first period class, Marcus Blant, some sophomore nobody, stared at me as I walked by. I could feel his eyes scanning my legs, my arms, my everything. I bit my lip trying not to go off on the kid but it turns out holding my tongue wasn't exactly in my nature.
"Oi, jackass!" I spun around. Marcus snapped out of his gaze and stood up straight. His friends burst into laughter around him as his face turned bright red. "Have some decency and at least try not to be so obvious, will ya?"
He nodded quickly, muttering out some kind of apology. I sighed and continued down the hall. I probably shouldn't have gone off on the kid, but bit was one of those days where everyone and everything was driving me up a wall.
A few girls whispered in a corner, pointing and eyeing me. They think they're being sneaky about it, but they're not. I can tell what they're saying and I know they talk about me when I'm not around. They all think I'm some kind of a freak. Which I guess I am. But the thing is, I don't like any of them much either. They couldn't understand me if I wanted them to. They don't know the things I do. They haven't seen what I've seen.
You see, I've got a bit of a superiority complex. Rightly so, I think. These kids all go about their lives and they don't know anything. Their biggest problem centers around who's taking them to an overly emphasized school dance. My biggest problem is quite literally the monsters under their beds. They all lack perspective, basically.
But it's hard to blame them for something they can't control. Hell, I'd give anything to not know what I know; to not have this seriously annoying obligation to fight monsters. But I do. And they don't. It still pisses me off.
A few yards down the hall, kids began to crowd, pumping fists in the air and cheering. I rolled my eyes. Another fight. Delinquents, all of them.
I pushed my way through the mob. Honestly I didn't have time for this. I just wanted to get to biology in peace. But then I saw who was fighting. Brandon Anchors, an old boyfriend of mine, and some kid who was probably just a freshman. A small one at that. Making it a solid 4 year age difference and Brandon must outweigh him by at least 50 pounds.
I watched as Brandon took a swing at the kid, hitting him square in the jaw. He pulled back, trying to catch his balance. Brandon reached down for the kid's shirt, yanking him to his feet.
"Hey!" I yelled. Brandon turned around, stared at me for a second and narrowed his eyes. "Leave the kid alone."
"Piss off, (y/n)." Brandon spat, turning around to take another swig at the shaggy haired boy beneath his grasp.
I yanked on his shoulder, forcing him to face me. The boy's shirt was still clenched between Brandon's fingers. "Walk away Brandon. The kid's only, what, half your size? What's the matter with you?"
"He walked into me. Got to show the little freak who's boss around here." Brandon growled.
"Seriously? This isn't a goddammn comic book. Let him go." I rolled my eyes. Brandon always went out of his way to find a fight. Even if it was with a kid.
"This is none of your business, bitch."
I clenched my jaw. Rage built quickly inside of me, a habit really.
"Alright, I've had a enough of this." I mumbled under my breath as I grabbed Brandon's arm and forced the kid away. The kid scrambled to his feet, pressing his back against the lockers to keep his distance. Brandon circled around me, his knuckles growing white.
"Walk away Brandon. It's over, ok? Walk away." I growled, pushing him against the lockers. "Get out of here."
He was furious. He always was. But not only did I just humiliate him in front of a crowd, I showed them that there's someone above him in this damn high school food chain. Me.
I wasn't messing around and he knew it.
Brandon shook his head, backing away. "You're fucking crazy, you know that?"
I nodded, a sarcastic grin on my lips. "I take pride in it."
The crowd began to disperse, leaving me and the kid alone. "Hey, you alright?" I leaned down to grab one of his textbooks from the floor. I wiped the dirt off the cover and handed it to him.
He nodded. "Yeah I'm fine. Thanks, by the way. You didn't have to do that."
I shrugged. "Brandon's a serious pain in the ass and I have some influence on him. It was kind of my civic duty to help out."
He laughed, light and freely like he hadn't in a while. "I'm Sam." He stuck his hand out, waiting for me to shake it.
I grabbed it and shook, "(Y/n)." I released his hand, bending to grab another book. "You're new here, huh?"
"Is it that obvious?" Sam asked, frowning, taking the beaten notebook from my hand.
I smiled. "You seem like a nice kid. Nice people aren't from around here, is all."
"Sammy!" A voice rang from down the hall, loud footsteps in its wake.
I looked to Sam who rolled his eyes.
"Sammy!" The boy ran towards us, towering over both me and the kid. He reached down and grabbed him by the shoulders. "Look at me." He ordered, examining the bruise on Sam's jawline. "Who did this?"
Sam pushed him away. "Relax Dean, it's fine."
"No it's not." Dean raised his voice. He paced up and down the hall. "Who did this? I'm going to rip his lungs out!"
They went on arguing for a while. I would have left but something about them seemed weirdly familiar. I ranked every inch of my brain. I knew I recognized them somehow but I couldn't seem to place it. Sam. Dean. Then it clicked. They're bloody Winchesters. The bloody Winchesters. I started to laugh. This is when Dean turned to me for the first time.
"Who the hell are you?"
"This is (y/n)," Sam jumped in, "She stopped the fight. Got the guy to back down."
Dean nodded, his glare softening. "Is that right?"
I nodded, smiling, still in complete disbelief.
His stare didn't waver. "So why the hell were you laughing?"
I sighed through the smile on my cheeks, shaking my head. "You're Winchesters, aren't you?"
Dean seemed taken back for a moment. He looked to Sam, who only shrugged. He turned back to me, his expression hardening. "How do you know who we are?"
"Please. John Winchester dragging his boys on a cross country vengeance tour to get the son of bitch who killed his tragically beautiful wife; going from civilian to one of the best hunters out there. It's practically a bedtime story." I shook my head, the grin still on my cheeks. I can't believe I met them. These boys must have millions of stories. I would give anything to travel and hunt around the country instead of being trapped here in this shitty town and begging for scraps.
Then they both asked me two questions at once. "So you're a hunter too?," came from Sam. He's obviously the level headed logic based one. It was Dean who started shouting, "Do you think our lives are funny? This isn't some story, sweetheart this is-"
"Cool your engines, Jet." I cut him off. "We all have tragic back stories. Yours just happens to be a bit more known."
"Dean," Sam said, as his brother finally broke his stare. "You should head to class. You really can't afford to fail another one."
He groaned. "Fine. But you better go to yours too."
Sam smiled. "I always do, Dean. You're the one with the attendance problem." He turned to me. "See you later (y/n)."
I waved goodbye as Sam walked off towards the math wing. I looked to Dean. "So where are you heading, Sunshine?"
He rolled his eyes and turned his back to me.
I chased after him. "My bet is you have biology with Peters. I'm right aren't I?"
"What's it to you?" Dean growled. Not the friendly type. Noted.
"He likes me." I walked in line with Dean, he looked at me out of the corner of his eye. He was listening, at least. "We're already twenty minutes late. He won't mark you off if you're with me."
Dean eyed me, unsure. "Why would you help me?"
I smiled. "Well for one, your brother's a sweet kid which means there's got to be some of that in you... somewhere."
Dean grinned. I didn't expect that.
"Two; hunters look out for each other. Even if that means in the most obscure and seemingly pointless ways. i.e., getting out of detention on your first day at a new school."
He let out a laugh, his strides falling in step with mine.
"And three," we arrive outside the classroom door. Mr. Peters was lecturing inside, quite loudly actually. "I'm in this class too, so I don't have a choice but to walk in with you."
I opened the door and stepped in first. Since he was behind me I didn't see the smile plastered across his face, but I sure heard his laugh. Mr. Peters looked up as we walked in.
"(Y/n), nice of you to join us. Who is your friend?" He asked, a soft and pleasing smile on his face.
"This is Dean." I said, pointing to him as I made my way to the back to the room. I looked back to find Dean following me.
Mr. Peters nodded. "Yes I heard we would be graced with a new student this week. Excellent. Well, Dean, I look forward to having you here."
Dean nodded before sliding into the empty seat next to me.
Mr. Peters went on with his lecture. We stepped in sometime around endoderms and I didn't care much to figure out the rest. I snuck a peak over at Dean. He sat straight up, though his eyes were closed. Quite the talent, if he's really sleeping. But just before I looked away he opened his eyes and winked at me. Then he quickly shut then again.
I smiled to myself.
I may need to retract my policy on not making friends.
xxxxxxx
It didn't take long for the bell to ring, signaling it was time to go to our next class. Dean stood up, grabbing his torn backpack from the floor.
"So where you heading?" Dean asked. "Because if I have to go through this day listening to these morons by myself I'm going to lose it."
A laugh lifted my lips. "You went through quite the mood change, huh?"
Dean shrugged, watching as I gathered by books. "I don't like to waste time when I don't have much. I like you and you seem cool enough. Being a hunter is a plus. Saving my idiot brother from that maniac earned you a solid gold star. You're on the fast track now, sweetheart." He winked before turning around and making his way to the door.
I could feel something stirring in my stomach. Butterflies. Oh mother effer.
I ran to catch up with him. As I jogged through the door, I saw Dean waiting for me, leaning against the lockers.
"Unlucky for you, I don't think we have another class together. Mine have all been booked since the start of the year." I said.
Dean groaned, seriously over dramatically if you ask me. But it was... I dont' know... cute. "Seriously? Damn, well I guess I'll see you at lunch, yeah?"
I nodded, biting my lip to keep the stupidity from falling out. He turned and ran down the hall. I couldn't help but stare until he had disappeared from my view.
The next few days went along the same. I met up with Dean in the hallway before biology. We walked in together and sat in the back, not really paying much attention. Turns out I was right. It was the only class I had with him, and we couldn't exactly talk. But he liked communicating by eyeing in certain directions and miming. It was really difficult not to laugh. We always sat at the same table for lunch, too. It was a nice change from sitting alone. I could always hear a few people whisper as they passed by. I kept my head down, but Dean didn't seem to mind it. Or maybe he didn't hear.
Sam sat at the far end of the cafeteria with a few friends he had made. It didn't surprise me. He was a pretty likable kid. Smart. Kind. He was a decent human being for being raised a hunter anyway.
Dean on the other hand didn't have very many fans. I slid into the seat across from him, frowning at the catastrophe upon my plate. "Can you believe they make us eat this? It should be triple checked by the FDA if you ask me."
Dean nodded. "I'm in serious need of a cheeseburger right now. Diner food. Not fast food. And fries. Oh man, do I need fries."
I bit my lip. It was stupid. Seriously stupid. And my dad might throw me of a cliff, but I didn't care all that much. Something about this ragged, plaid wearing, leather jacket covered Winchester was making me break every rule I ever made to myself.
"So let's go." I said casually, as if I wasn't thinking about it for a while.
Dean looked up. "You serious? You want to skip?" His eyes lit up. They were a startling emerald green and were dreamy enough as it was without him looking at me like this. Damn it boy, stop it.
"Hell yeah." I pushed my tray away. "We've only got two more classes left anyway. Let's go. There's a killer diner in walking distance."
He laughed, standing up to follow me.
"We're going to have to be sneaky, alright?" I said sarcastically, as we approached the back entrance to the school. "There's probably ton of guards blocking every exit."
Dean nodded as he kept his back against the corner lockers. He turned his head every so slightly around the edge, then his body relaxed.
"There's no one there. Not a single person to stop us." Dean grinned. "Guess they don't care all that much if their students got a proper education after all."
I laughed, following Dean down the empty hall. He opened the door and allowed me to walk through. "Now let's go get some real food!"
We didn't even look back.