Making Comics!

Originally I wrote this on a forum in Flight Rising but I might as well write it here too. Many people seemed to find making comics hard to make. So I compiled a bunch of tips I found!

- Everyone seems to be worried about their drawing skills but the truth is, the best part of a comic is the storyline. Good plot can help bad art! Amazing art skills can't fix the plot, sadly. I'm really bad of thinking of storylines...

- Learn/research everything on art, literature and visual literacy. Most great comic artists take classes. Try your best to learn the techniques professionals do. Good stuff to research: Colour theory, Camera angles/shots, Photography stuff, Graphics something (forgot what it's called...)

- Remember that speech bubbles are a part of your comic. In a way, they can be part of the art. Avoid squeezing them in as an afterthought. (E.g. Lost Nightmare has interesting speech bubbles!)

- Plan out the whole plot first. It's hard to flesh out a plot, but writing a very quick and messy yet finished plot in one sitting makes it easier to clean up and complete later. (E.g. Have you read the those super duper cool stories only to find out it will never continue or gave up halfway while making a comic?)

- After that draft, make another draft. Don't let anyone see the plot until you're at least up to your 3rd draft. Now tuck your draft away for a month. This way, when you look at it a month later you see all your mistakes with a clear mind. Now show it to someone - someone honest and straightforward - and take their advice. Don't completely ignore their advice but don't completely follow what they say either. Repeat the steps until you're happy with your plot!

- Me: When your plot is done write a script. I guess you might not need one, but it makes stuff neater and easier.
Glances at non-existent watch
Me: Urgh, I took too long to copy, paste and edit this.

- Get inspiration! To beat that writer's block or that artist's block, do precisely the opposite of what that Block tells you not to do! Draw a block getting crushed within your very hands! Just draw, guys!

- There will always be someone better than you... and worse than you. If you put down the people below you, you're mean. But if you support others and have confidence in yourself, nice! Be confident! It's better to try than do nothing at all!

Anyways, good luck and make a comic for me to read!
And most importantly of all:

Always keep learning and never give up!

[Comic above by Ry-Sprit(Deviantart/Tumblr)] It's a cute comic, hehe.