7th ⓒⓗⓐⓟⓣⓔⓡ

Chapter 7

♢ⓢⓐⓝⓝⓘⓔ♢

"Everyone thinks they have to change to fit in. Honestly, not fitting in is what makes you unique. But being unique will never be a trend."

I stood outside the house that once was where I loved the most.

Now, I was not even sure whether it welcomes me.

The lights were on, proving that my father was at home. I wonder if that plastic woman was there too. Taking my chances, I pushed pass the gate and walked pass the garden, into the house.

My father was sitting on the couch watching some random documentary show. He did not even glance at me. Smirking, I slammed the door, making him jump. He glared at me, but did not move an inch.

Ms. Plastic was nowhere to be seen, luckily. I breathed an almost inaudible sigh of relief. I wouldn't have known what to do or how to react if she was still here.

I walked up to my room and closed the door, locking it. The last thing I want is for Ms. Plastic or my dad to come crashing in like some idiot bull.

I walked over to the bathroom and brushed my teeth, my eyes and heart focused on that task. I was determined to think of nothing, to say nothing.

Once I rinsed my mouth,  I changed into my sleeping clothes and jumped into bed. Turning the lights off, I fell into a deep sleep.

"No! Don't hurt me!" I screamed, cowering.

He towered over me threateningly. I covered my face as I started sobbing.

"Why are you crying! Stop or I will punish you!" he shouted. I whimpered and moved away from him. My heart hammered against my chest, sweat dripping down the sides of my face.

"How dare you move away! You deserve to die!" he said and kicked me hard in the shin. I cried out in pain. He forcefully grabbed my wrist and pulled me to my feet. His grip was claw-like, nails biting into my skin, tearing them apart. Blood trickled down my arm.

"Stand up you useless girl! I should have dumped your useless hide into the bin then to waste my money on you!" he screamed and started slapping me.

The sting from the slaps made tears spring to my face as I stood under the mercy of him.

"No!" I screamed, jerking upright.

I sat, panting, as my fingers curled around the wet sheets I was sitting on. My heart was pounding at an abnormal rate.

A cold shiver ran down my spine. Tears pooled in my eyes, and I blinked them away furiously. I sat on top of my sweaty, crumpled bedsheets, my mind replaying the scene over and over again.

When my pulse rate decreased, I laid back down and told myself that it was all just a nightmare. There was nothing to worry. No, nothing at all.

Closing my eyes, I tried to catch some sleep, but it didn't come to me until the beginning of the morning.

***

I sat up groggily, scanning my surroundings. Sunlight shone through the lone window by my bedroom. It would have looked like It was 1:15 p.m. 1:15 p.m.?! I missed class! I jumped out of my bed and stumbled out of the room and down the hallway. My father looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe I was.

"Dad, why didn't you wake me up? Don't you know I missed school because of that!" I screamed at him.

"Your alarm was suppose to wake you up, not me. I'm not your maid, Sannyial Chase," he responded without looking at me.

I gasped. No one, absolutely no one, calls me by my full name other than my mother. And he also called me a Chase, which was my mother's surname. His surname was Leeniual.

I stumbled back in shock. Turning  around, I ran to my bedroom and slammed the door, locking it. I jumped onto my bed and hugged my pillow close to my chest. Sobbing, my mind putting two and two together, I came to a conclusion.

Wiping away the tears, I sat up. I wasn't going to ruin my life just because of him. I stood up and walked over to my closet, opening the two doors.

Taking a deep breath, I thought over my makeover. Black. Everyone likes black. Yet, black is an intriguing colour. It has that "stay away" sign plastered all over it.

I tossed clothes after clothes out of my closet. Looks like I needed to go shopping. I shoved open my lower drawer and started to dig through my accessories. All of the accessories I owned were shiny and bright, unlike me. I took them all out and dumped them in a box by my side.

When I was done dumping stuffs into the box, I closed the closet doors and stood up. I carried the box to the corner of my room and placed it there.

Standing, I scanned the room. White and blue was all I could see. I needed to re-do my room too, but I could settle it later. I needed to buy some new clothes first.

I unlocked the door and walked out and down the stairs to the front door. Hopping into the bus, I dropped off at the nearest place that sold clothes.

I ended up dropping off at Goodwill. I walked around the mall until I found a plain black T-shirt. I took ten of those my size and shoved it into the basket. Next, I found a dark purple jacket and took one of my size. I found another two black ones and took them too. Looking at some jeans, I decided to go with the black skinny jeans. I grabbed ten of it too.

Next, I went to the shoes section and bought three black converse shoes. Satisfied, I walked to the counter to pay for my new clothes. On my way to the cashier, a black snapback caught my eyes. It was on promotion. I picked a totally black one, a red and black one and a dark blue and black one. I also took a hat that was black, and another dark blue one.

Finally, I walked to the cashier to pay for all of my things. "Two hundred and forty-seven dollars," the cashier stated. I fished out my credit card and handed it to her. She scanned it and handed it back to me, along with the receipt and my clothes. I took it from her and walked out of the mall. Feeling new, I headed to the bus stop.

On my way to the bus stop, someone bumped into me. My first instinct was to run away or cower in fear. But I reminded myself that I have changed, that I was not the girl I used to be.

"Hey watch where you're going!" I said. The person turned around.

It was Jace.