Chapter 13

FEBRUARY 14, 2016
SUNDAY
9:25 P.M.

    Derek stared at Stiles, still looking like he'd just downed a bottle of whiskey.

    "Please, let them go," Stiles asked quietly. He was afraid to speak too loudly all of a sudden, like doing so might make Derek change his mind.

    "Tomorrow," Derek replied, also quietly, the word slurred. Then he closed his eyes for a few seconds, swaying slightly. Without another word he walked right past Stiles and back into the house. Stiles followed him, watching as Derek went up the stairs, seemingly in a trance. His behavior now was even more shocking than their conversation, than what Stiles had forced himself to do to save his friends. His friends...

    What were they going to do and say when they found out what Stiles had done, that they were able to go home now? Would they leave? Or would they put up a fight and get themselves killed? He would have to talk to them alone, convince them that this was the best idea. Then, left with nothing else to do, Stiles went upstairs to the bedroom, desperately wishing Scott would be there too, but knowing he wouldn't be.

    He climbed into what used to be Scott's bed, taking deep breaths in an attempt to calm his churning stomach and racing heart. Kissing Derek had left a bad taste in his mouth. He wondered how he was going to be able to keep up this ruse when just one little kiss was making Stiles's whole body revolt. But he also had to, for Scott and Allison and their friends and families. All of their lives were in his hands now.

    Stiles's stomach burned even more when he buried his face into the pillow. It still smelled like Scott. All it did was convince Stiles even more that he had to do this, for real. Some part of him still doubted that the plan would work, but most of him was certain it would, because it had to. Derek was insane in every context of the word. He wanted this, he wanted Stiles. If Stiles gave him what he wanted, Derek would let his guard down. And when he did, when he finally, truly believed that Stiles was his, Stiles would strike, and take him down. The thought of doing this to someone, though, even Derek, made Stiles ashamed of himself. To give someone something they wanted so desperately and then rip it away from them, betray them, stab them in the back in the worst way possible...

    But Derek had done this to himself. Stiles had no choice. Derek had to die and Stiles knew now that he had to be the one to kill him. But what about Laura? She wasn't going to let her guard down so easily, if at all. Could he get her to trust him? And if not, would he be able to kill her too?

FEBRUARY 15, 2016
MONDAY
10:45 A.M.

    Stiles was still alone when he woke up the next morning. A little square glow of sunlight peeked out from the edges of the black curtain over the window. He wasn't sure what to do now, but he knew he couldn't lie in bed all day. Sighing, he forced himself out of bed and down to the kitchen.

    Laura, Derek, Scott and Allison were seated in their normal spots, eating waffles. They all looked up as he entered. Derek smiled from ear to ear and pulled out the chair to the right of him, gesturing for Stiles to sit. He did. Derek put his hand on Stiles's shoulder for a moment and then went back to eating.

    "I thought you could use more sleep today," Derek greeted. "You almost slept through breakfast, though, babe. I'll have to get you an alarm clock."

    Stiles, surprised and unsure of what to say, said nothing. Babe? Scott, Allison and Laura were staring at the two of them with matching looks of confusion. Stiles could only hope he didn't have the same expression on his face. It was disconcerting to have Derek treating him like they were newlyweds. He'd assumed Derek would have his guard up for another few days. But, Stiles thought, he's crazy, I shouldn't assume anything of him.