Chapter One

CHAPTER ONE

Lisa has just graduated high school and has now found herself in college.  Her major is going to be Drama and today happens to be the first day of her freshmen year.  As she walks into her new dorm room, she is reminded that she had left all her friends back in her hometown.  She sits on her bunk watching as other girls come into the dorm room.  She is just too shy to talk to them and they don’t really seem to notice her on the top bunk.  As she sits there doubting herself, a girl comes up to her and asks, “What is your name?  I am Amanda.”  “Um, I’m Lisa, nice to meet you.  What’s your major?”  She asks hesitantly.  “Drama, how about you?”  “Same thing!!  Hey, what is your first class?”  “Acting 101, You?” “Me too!”  Lisa said with a smile.  Lisa then was thinking, finally my first college friend.  Maybe this won’t be all that bad. 

The next morning the girls’ headed off to their classes.  Lisa had found out that there were 5 other girls in the dorm, Amanda, Ashley, Stacey, Lizzie, and Emily.  Most were either in Drama like herself and Amanda or were in the music track.  When Lisa went to sit down in her seat near the back of the room, she realized just how big this class was going to be.  Every seat seemed to fill up in no time.  There had to be 100 plus people in the room.  Lisa was petrified.  A boy came in about 5 minutes later looking just as shy as she was.  He also seemed to be very nervous about seeing all of their classmates in one room too.  He then looked next to him and said, “Hi, I’m Shane. Shane Yaw. But some people call me Shane Dawson or SD.”  He said nervously with a small smile. “Hi, I’m Lisa.  This classroom is huge!”  I know right?! Seems like they could hold a carnival in here!”  They both laughed at his lame joke, they were both just trying to break the ice after all.  This made Lisa smile and calm down.  There was something special about this boy but she just couldn’t figure out what it was.

 After class, Shane caught up to Lisa and invited her to lunch at a local vegetarian restaurant off campus.  This was the start of a beautiful friendship.  Lisa found out that night that Shane was abused as a child, that he was from Burbank California, that he lived with his mom and two older brothers, that he was overweight, and he was single. 

 When Lisa got to her dorm, Amanda was waiting patiently for her on Lisa’s bunk.  “So where were you at? Did you at least have a nice evening?”  “Yeah the best.  I was hanging out with that Shane guy from our class.  He took me out to eat.  We had a lot of fun tonight.”  “Ohhh, you like him?”  “I don’t know that yet! I barely know him. But he sure is nice for being so shy.”  Lisa went to sleep thinking of Shane.  She was excited for her class the next morning.