Chapter Two

I hold my breath as the plane lands.

This had been my first air plane ride and I had to say that I did very well.  I mean, I did hyperventilate at the beginning but I did not throw up. 

We go to the hotel where we’ll be staying and I call home to let them know I arrived safely and then I call my aunt to let her know I was fine.

We talk briefly, mostly about my dad and I go to sleep and dream about him.

In the morning we have breakfast at a café near the British museum of natural history. 

When we get to the art section, I am completely fascinated that I forget to stay with the group.  I move along the walls just completely engrossed with every picture.

When I notice my class is no longer in that area, I begin to panic.  I run from room to room looking for them.

“You look scared.”

I turn to look at the young man standing next to me.

He’s American, I say that mostly because he doesn’t have an accent.  He’s about my height with blue eyes and brown hair.  He’s alone too.

“I lost my group.”

“They headed over to the other part of the museum.  To the Roman part I think.  I’ll take you.”

I breathe a sigh of relief.

“My name is Johnathon.”  He says extending his hand.

“Mathew.”

“So you’re on a field trip?”

“Yeah.”

“Cool.

“And you?”

“Oh, I live here.”

“Really.  You don’t have an accent.”

“Well, it’s not a permanent home.  I travel.”

“With your parent’s?”

“My girlfriend mostly.”

“Really?  How old are you?”

“Older than I look.”

“Older huh?  Cause you look about my age and I’m not old enough to go anywhere without my mom’s permission.”

He laughs and nods.

“Yeah, well.  You and I live completely different lives my friend.”

“How do you know that?”

“Well, I don’t need my mom’s permission for anything and I know how to find people so I’m never lost.”

“Shut up.”

“So you like all this art stuff?”

“Yeah.”

“Really?  I’d rather get to know a live person that a painting.”

“It’s not just about getting to know it; it’s about appreciating it and seeing all the wonderful things it can offer you.  It can transport you into a whole different world or show you an emotion so strong that you can feel it.  I mean, it depends on everyone’s interpretation.  Two people can look at the exact same thing and get something completely different out of it.”

“Yeah, I guess you really are into this art stuff.”

I laugh.

“So where do you go to school?  You here for college?”  I ask.