Chapter 1: Again, It Begins

18 Years Earlier: October 3, 2075

From atop a protective wall, Thoruk, the leader of Ukkiville, tracked the arc of his arrow as it sliced through the air. Descending rapidly, the razor-sharp missile struck his nemesis on the battlefield.

Zolokt stumbled as he clenched the shaft protruding from his chest. He wobbled for a moment and fell backward, writhing in pain.

Without hesitation, Thoruk positioned another arrow against the bow and drew back on the string.

His friend, Stormulka, calmly grabbed the shaft and motioned in Zolokt's direction.

Two cloned mutants with sleek, black horse bodies and massive lion heads galloped toward the stricken Skalag ruler.

Stormulka peered into Thoruk's eyes. "Let his own monsters take care of him."

While Zolokt flailed on the ground, one of the unearthly predators reared then crashed its front hooves onto his abdomen. Gasping, the wounded clan leader shrieked in horror.

The vicious beast stepped back and opened its huge jaws. With long, ivory teeth exposed, it blasted a thunderous roar before chomping one of Zolokt's legs.

The creature's cloned brother clamped down on the other, and the brutal animals pulled and spread his lower limbs further apart.

Squirming in agony, he howled as a sickening crunch reverberated. A chill rippled down Thoruk's spine. He watched Zolokt's hideous inventions exact a tortuous, retaliation for the suffering they'd endured at the end of his whip.

Attracted by the commotion, other freakish predators cautiously stalked their tormented master. A flying mutant circled above, then swooped to Zolokt and dug its talons into his neck.

The terrified ruler's bloodcurdling scream split the air. Spooked by the noise, the lion-horses jerked back and thrashed, while keeping a firm hold on his legs.

Yanking, the ferocious beasts ripped the limbs from his torso. Grisly cracking and splintering sounds accompanied the snapping of bones, tendons, and nerves.

A glistening, crimson river of blood trailed the mutilated remains as the gruesome creatures carried them away. Unable to bear the sight even from a distance, Zolokt's daughter, Angrokt, dropped to her knees and wept.

Thoruk scanned the disgusting scene and scowled. "Zolokt got what he deserved — being silenced forever by his wicked experiments. Rot in...!"

Present Time: Tuesday ~ July 7, 2093 ~ 10:00 am

Laughter in the distance shattered Thoruk's reminiscence of the fateful battle with the Skalags, which had occurred almost 18 years earlier. Sitting under a willow near the Lake of Dreams, his watchful eyes settled on his daughter, Caruk, and her closest friends, Protivil and Foxulka.

Born within the same month of June as she, both of her cousins spent most of their daylight hours hopping to her beck and call.

Those boys are like a couple of lovesick puppies. Thoruk stroked his beard. They can't be 15 years old already, can they?

An uneasy mood settled over him as another flashback of Zolokt's death struck. Why must this haunt me? It's getting worse!

He shook his head. While his hatred had softened over such a long time, the memory of his murdered father and the death of the prior master of arms, under Zolokt's revenge-filled rule, left little room for mercy.

Relishing the serene surroundings of the lake, less than two miles outside of Ukkiville's protective wall, he appreciated the reprieve from his regular duties.

I can't believe how peaceful it's been these past few years. Can Zolokt really be dead — for good?

While the question often troubled him, he quickly dismissed it. The shredding of Zolokt by the beasts seemed so real on the battlefield. But now, he regretted not having Intellulka inspect the few remaining body parts to make sure he hadn't cloned himself.

With a cane fishing pole in his grip and twin polar bears wrestling by his side, Thoruk leaned back against the tree on a warm, humid morning. Foxulka's white Great Pyrenees mountain dog, Ghost, joined the tussle with the adolescent bears, Chili and Ice. The three were like siblings, spending much of their time together from birth.

Thoruk cupped a palm over his brow to block the reflections dancing across the water's surface. Occasionally, a fluffy cloud broke the sun's bright glare as he squinted to locate the teenagers.

A gentle breeze wafted the fragrance of honeysuckle through the air. He drew a long breath and checked out the shoreline.

Along the closest edge, he found clumps of vines, dotted with the creamy, sweet-smelling blooms. A stand of orange and black-spotted tiger lilies swayed near the sandy beach of Ukkiville's community park.

Toward the middle of the lake, enjoying themselves in an old, refurbished boat, the three kids clucked like hens. Thoruk's headstrong daughter's wavy, bronze-red hair drifted with the light wind as she directed the retrieval of rigs set out earlier to catch bass.

A Few Minutes Later

Caruk turned toward Protovil, two weeks younger than her and brawnier than most boys his age. "Proto, get us closer — more to the left."

As the rickety, white vessel neared, Caruk grabbed the floating bottle, attached to a long, weighted string and a couple of hooks spaced a foot apart.

She lifted it. No wiggle.

"Nothing on this one." She extended the dangling contraption toward her wiry cousin, Foxulka. "Here, Fox, wrap the line and put it in the rear."

"Surely." The sometimes-stubborn lad, who used every imaginable shortcut and variation of the English language, snatched the makeshift bobber.

Whipping his head to flip long, jet-black hair from his eyes, he wound the string around the old wine bottle and gently placed it behind him. "Ow! Pricked my blasted finger! Shoulda bin careful."

He smeared the blood across his faded, purple shirt; the one he'd wear every day if only his ma would let him.

Caruk motioned toward another marker. "Over there, let's get the next one."

"Caru, watchit!" With eyes the size of walnuts, Fox pointed over her shoulder at the lake. A large dorsal fin plowed through the water directly at her.

The big, trailing wake suddenly became long, narrow snapping jaws with glimmering teeth. As the aquatic beast accelerated and continued its beeline toward Caru, she yanked her hand back, narrowly escaping its razor-sharp bite.

Wicked, what was that? Her heart pounded against her chest.

Standing next to her, Proto banged the oar against the side of the boat. The deafening booms echoed through the air.

The finned creature turned, glanced at him, and dove straight down, splashing its tail before it vanished. The bottle plunged underwater.

Sucking a quick breath, Caru jerked her head to one side, then the other. "Where did it go? Keep looking! Proto, get ready to chase it!"

A booming voice shot from the distance. "Caru, what's happening?"

She spotted her father on the shore. "I don't know — something big grabbed the bait. We're going after it!"

"No, don't...!"

Ignoring her father's shout, she pointed at the huge beast bursting the water's surface. "Over there! Go!"

Did you enjoy this chapter? If so, it would be nice if you press the star icon in the upper right-hand corner to vote. Let me know if you have any questions, thoughts, or feedback in the comments section. I love responding to reader's input.