Chapter 4: Cat Eyes

Wednesday ~ July 8, 2093 ~ 9:30 am

Racing toward the little girl, Caru zoomed past Proto, who remained frozen in a state of shock. She knelt by the saddened youngster. "Hoot, what's wrong?"

The child didn't look up, just pointed straight ahead; her cries continued.

Caru squinted. "What is that?"

Between Hoot and the piles of splintered lumber, lay a bubbly mixture of mutilated flesh and partially-dissolved gray and black striped fur. A peculiar vapor rose from the simmering remains.

As Caru ventured closer, she jerked back and covered her nose. "Eeew, it smells horrible! Was that a cat?"

Hoot wailed louder and sniffled. "It's Snuffy."

Squeezing her eyelids shut, Caru turned to Proto. "My eyes! They're stinging from that steam. What do you make of it?" Tears streamed down her cheeks.

"I don't know. I'm still trying to figure out what happened to the trees."

He cautiously approached the unusual substance and nudged it with the ax's blade — no movement. "I've never seen anything like it."

Reaching out with his hand and barely touching what was left of the fur, he yanked his arm back. "Owww! It burns!" He shook his finger and blew on it.

Rising, Caru spat on the painful spot and wiped it across her shorts. "Hold still, you big baby!"

She snatched a small container from her pocket and opened it. "Try this."

Dipping into the gooey, green paste, she smeared a thick coat across Proto's tender sore. "How does that feel?"

"It's not hurting as much." He curled his lower lip and extended his arm in her direction.

"I'm sure it would feel a whole lot better if you kissed it."

She pushed his palm away and scowled. "Funny! You must be okay."

He stared at the goop on his fingertip. "Is this stuff safe?"

"Yeees. It's an aloe vera concoction your grandma, Gracivil, used to make. Your mom showed me how to use it."

She whispered in his ear. "That must be some form of acid on the carcass. The alkaline in the salve neutralized it instantly."

He cocked his head. "Who would do that to a little kid's pet?"

Shrugging her shoulders, Caru bent over and hugged the slightly-built girl. "Sweetie, I'm sorry about Snuffy. I know you loved her."

Sensing Hoot was in no shape to talk about her cat anymore, Caru stroked the youngster's shoulder-length, auburn hair.

"Come. We'll take you back home to your mommy."

Lifting softly, she coaxed the child to stand, but Hoot squirmed like a worm. "I don't want to leave. I can't find my kittens!"

Caru scanned the area then peered into the girl's teary eyes. "Don't worry! After we take you home, Proto and I will find the kittens and check out what happened to Snuffy."

An Hour Later

After walking the heartbroken girl home to her parents, Caru returned to the scene of the devastation with Proto by her side. She searched for tracks beyond the perimeter of the splintered trees. "I hope we can find all of her kittens. Hoot will be devastated if we don't. I hate to see her cry!"